What I wish I had known: Living in a residence hall helps you make friends

I wish I would’ve known that living in a residence hall allows you to make many more friends. I attended a community college close to home my first two years.

Don’t get me wrong, I saved so much money by doing this and had no debt, which makes me proud. I was able to live at home, continue to work full time and have a home-cooked meal every night.

The only downfall to commuting to and from school is that there isn’t an opportunity to make lifelong friends. I have made only one really good friend, who is actually the roommate I live with in an apartment off-campus.

I decided not to live in the residence halls when I came to BGSU this past fall. I regret that. I want the opportunity to make more friends and meet new people. I have made some pretty good friends who are in my classes, though.

I wish I would’ve known that the end of the semester is when you need to drop everything and “get stuff done.” I had five projects due within two weeks of each other this semester and I have never been so stressed in my entire life. I am an education major so each project required me to use my creativity. Make sure you start your projects in advance if you have more than one due in a week, or just get them done sooner because being stressed is not good for your overall health.

I wish I would’ve known that taking summer courses is a great idea to get ahead or catch up. Going to class in the summer doesn’t sound the greatest, but it enables you to stay on track to graduate on time and keep your brain sharp to be ready to start back up in the fall. I am stuck taking five summer courses because I didn’t take any prior to this summer. I wanted to graduate on time, which is May 2013, so I am doing everything possible to make this goal achievable.

With all that being said, I hope you have a wonderful college experience at Bowling  Green State University and make the most out of the four years you have here because it flies by.