Make BGSU friendlier one ‘Hello’ at a time

Going straight to college from high school was probably the best decision I’ve made in a while. I was excited to learn new things, perform, meet people who love to perform as much as I do and experience the “college life.”

However, it has not been as easy as I thought it would be.

Being a musical theater major, I’m a very outgoing person. I talk to anyone and everyone no matter what their “style” is.

When I came to BGSU, since it’s only 25-30 miles south of where I’m from, I was expecting the people to be as friendly as the ones from my high school.

The first few weeks of school, I would say “Hi” to everyone. They looked at me as if I was asking, “Who was the fifth president of the United States?” Now, don’t get me wrong, there were some nice people who smiled and said, “Hi,” and I appreciated those people.

But seriously, you’re paying thousands of dollars to live the college life, why not enjoy life more? I know I’m not the most attractive guy on campus, but if someone like me has enough courage and integrity to say “Hello” to a random person, why blow them off because you think they’re “ugly” or “weird” or, my favorite “creepy?”  These people just love life and are happy to be here and enjoy seeing smiles on people’s faces.

Needless to say, people really need to be as friendly as possible. If someone adds you on Facebook and then tries talking to you, say, “Hello. Nice to meet you.” It doesn’t mean that person is trying to hit on you.

Although I admit, there are some people who are like that, but you’re in college now and should be able to make the choice to ignore that person. But as I said in the previous paragraph, that particular person probably just loves life and enjoys meeting new people.

If you’re ever in a situation where you’re sad or angry or just want someone to talk to, don’t you want someone to cheer you up, no matter how well you know them? That might even be those “creepy” people who say “Hi” to you on campus or via the Internet. Yeah, they can help you out and give you the best advice you’ve ever received.

Trust me.