What I wish I had known …. Students go through a lot transitioning

Before coming to BGSU, I had this idea in my mind of what college would be like, but it turns out the experience seems to be different for everyone.

Sometimes our expectations are too high and other times they are too low. It is a cliché to say this, but college is truly what you make of it, whether you believe me or not.

There will be numerous opportunities that you will be presented with and it’s all about which ones you choose to take and which you choose to ignore … good and bad.

You will see a lot of people forget their lifelong morals in their first year of college, but that doesn’t mean you have to, too.

But that doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t be friends with them because everyone is going through something new and they don’t know who they are or who they want to be yet.

People go through a lot during the transition from high school to college and feel like they have to act as everyone else just to fit in, but that’s how people end up unhappy.

I suggest being yourself and finding the organizations, club sports, activities, etc. that truly interest you and that’s where you will meet your real and, hopefully, lifelong friends and be happiest.

The beginning of the year is sort of like a free-for-all with the different activities and everyone is open to meeting new friends and trying new things.

As the year goes on, things appear to be less welcoming the longer you are in school, but it really is never too late to join something or make more new friends.

You just have to stay open to the ideas and not become too set in your ways, which is something I am guilty of myself.