BG makes me feel at home by Rebecca

I can’t believe that it’s time for school to start again. I just had my first three classes of the semester, and I have one more to go. It’s crazy how the summer flew by. I thought summer would seem to last forever because we had from the beginning of May until now, but it actually passed really quickly.

As a quick recap, this is what I did this summer. I worked (a lot)! I worked as a waitress at a sport’s bar back home, and I was an office assistant at a karate dojo. I spent a lot of time with my friends and family. I also went on vacation to Sevierville, Tenn., for a day, Hiddenite, N.C., for a day, and Asheville, N.C., for a day. Then, right before the semester started, I helped my brother with his Eagle Scout project. Like I said, I had a super busy summer.

My first few days on campus have been awesome. When I left campus for the summer, I felt like I hadn’t made many friends here. I was feeling kind of nervous about coming back for this fall semester.

I was so wrong! I have known a few people in each of my classes so far, and I haven’t walked anywhere on campus where I haven’t seen someone I knew. It’s a great feeling. I think that’s one of the best things about being at BG. If I had attended a larger school, I think I would feel lost. It’s so nice to see friendly faces everywhere I go. BG is such a community. Many colleges make people feel anonymous, especially larger schools. People on BG’s campus genuinely care about one another.

For example, we have Your Fellow Falcon (YFF), which is an organization on campus that helps people get better acquainted to and used to campus. People in YFF drove around in golf carts today (and they’ll be doing it again tomorrow) to help people find their classes. It is things like that that make me feel welcome on campus. I’m never afraid to ask people for directions and I’m never afraid that people will intentionally point me in the wrong direction. All in all, I’m so excited to be back on campus! I have a class here soon, so I’ve got to run!