Visual Narrative

April 13th, 2009

This project was a very interesting one to display everyone’s individual literacy’s.  The project is very open-ended and allows a range of possibilities to demonstrate different literacy’s.  It allowed me to think about all the different types of literacy’s I use, how I use them, and then got me thinking why; why do I use some types of literacy’s more than others, the difference in how my parents use literacy’s, and how I developed these literacy’s.  I use to work in a daycare, so I taught literacy daily.  I was going to do a timeline of my literacy development, but then decided to do one that sounded more fun to me and allowed me to explore my own range of literacy’s today.  When you first think of literacy you think of reading and writing, which are important aspects of literacy, but not the only ones.  I decided to document the various literacy’s I use throughout my day.  I thought by going this route I could also relate to a broader audience, especially college students, since schooling requires a lot of literacy.  The literacy’s I choose were Facebook, a cereal box, the newspaper, writing notes for class, blogging, a lunch menu, e-mail, my Spanish homework, texting, studying school books, my cook book, and magazines.  Although the list could go on and on, these ones are the ones I use most often.  I think it is interesting to see that I use electronics for at least half of my daily literacy’s.  This differs greatly from my parents, but is becoming more and more popular among younger generations.  I also felt that being bi-lingual was important, because it is a literacy to be able to read, write and understand a whole other language.  Being a communications major, it is important for me to be bi-lingual in our every growing multi-cultural society.  I feel that literacy plays a huge part in my daily life, and it is imperative to be literate in our society.  I think I did a good job in displaying my literacy’s accurately because it is clear on my poster.  I think I was creative because I included things you do not always think about.  I think I offered a good demonstration of my literacy’s that my audience can relate to and understand.  If I would have had more time, I would improve my pictures, although creative, I am no photographer.

My Daily Literacies-Olivia Dolch

• About

This is an area on your website where you can add text. This will serve as an informative location on your website, where you can talk about your site.

• Blogroll
  • Admin