Our lab space is divided into 2 adjacent areas, with office space for 5-6 students, separate areas for noisy or hot equipment and quiet sample processing, and an informal area with couches for planning and lab meetings.
We are accumulating equipment that should be a great help in facilitating research activities. Some of the major items are listed below:
1. 4WD Lab Truck [For field work]
2. Las Gatos Triple Liquid Water Isotope Analyzer (and vapor injection port) [numerous applications, including tracing water sources used by plants and animals and measuring animal metabolic and water loss rates]
3. A low-vibration Memmert environmental chamber with temperature, humidity, and lighting controls [For lab experiments on vibration sensitive species]
4. Dissecting scopes [For identifying arthropods]
5. Mettler-Toledo analytical balance capable of measuring to the nearest microgram [numerous applications, including determining the hydration of small insects and preparation for isotope analysis]
6. Cryogenic extraction line for water isotope analysis [extracting water from biological and soil samples]
7. Two ISCO automated water samplers
8. Priority access to a walk-in environmental chamber that controls temperature
9. Heating blocks and desiccant chambers for measuring physiological limits of arthropods
Additional lab and field equipment (e.g. YSI Sonde, soil moisture sensors, iButtons, etc).
There are also resources available for use outside of our lab:
1. The Ecology Research Station (http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/biological-sciences/facilities-and-resources/field-stations.html)
2. Greenhouse (http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/biological-sciences/facilities-and-resources/greenhouse-facilities.html)
3. Other facilities and resources (http://www.bgsu.edu/arts-and-sciences/biological-sciences/facilities-and-resources.html)