4 thoughts on “Ch. 7 Online Safety and Security

1. pbrunk
    6:36 pm - 10-24-2010

This is an interesting discussion, Derek. I know you recently taught on Social Media and our school Bowling Green High School has a lot of blocking of sites – such as Facebook. I really think it is essential that we teach our students appropriate use of technology – whether it be Facebook, Cell Phones, Twitter, or anything else. We need to stop being so afraid of some misuse and allow the benefits to be seen.

2. ashtonc
    2:23 am - 10-26-2010

Derek,

Great topics to bring up for educators around the world. I know some schools do not even get the luxury of using the internet to have their students learn, and if they do get to use the internet, then it is only one or two sites. I enjoyed your paragraph about the school system blocking too many websites. I think this is a great topic and as a business teacher, I think you are right. Due to the blocking of many websites, some teachers are unable to provide the students with some of the learning and material they should receive. Hopefully as a future teacher, we will be provided with ways to get around these roadblocks to pursue teaching our students to the best of our abilitiy.

3. Rose Kuceyeski
    2:55 am - 10-28-2010

You are correct about the disadvantages of blocking everything. I think within a controlled school environment some of the Web 2.0 tools may be used successfully. For example, Google e-mail can be setup where it is only available within the school district so then you can use all the other Google apps.

4. Valencia
    12:46 pm - 11-8-2010

Hello there, wonderful blog site you have. The situation appears like we’ve very much the same pursuits concerning Mallorca or complete Spain? If you won’t mind, please let me invite you to check out the Mallorca as well as Spain Fan Portal Web page http://www.yourmy.org I normally like to use. Hope you benefit from such as I enjoyed your blog Site and in any case I wish you a wonderful day. Will come back quickly, or perhaps notice your own comment on my personal webpage better? Kind Regards from Majorca Spain