“Madison County”: Skepticism (In)Breeds Curiosity

I’m not trying to be cynical or anything, but didn’t Texas Chainsaw Massacre come out in 1974?

Apparently, that doesn’t matter.

Over the past decade, it seems that more and more filmmakers in the genre are turning to the same types of ideas for what they are calling “original” horror movies.

What I mean by this is that a large number of the popular or mainstream horror films that have been coming out are all using close to the same ideas, despite how different from one another those films may be.

With that all being said, I just saw the trailer for the new movie Madison County and I must say, it looks a little familiar. The movie looks to be nothing more than a straight forward “freak-show slasher” flick that follows the same format as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, The Hills Have Eyes, Wrong Turn and House of 1000 Corpses.

Not to be insensitive or rude, but Madison County (like the previously named movies) is about a small group of college students getting lost in the backwoods on their way to someplace. While on the trip, something goes wrong and the group eventually comes face to face with a psychopathic “redneck” that chases them around with a large axe.

I respect the desire to put together realistic horror movies, but there have got to be hundreds of more themes to use than this one. This same type of film has been being produced since the early 70s and it is getting worn out because of all of the exposure we have had to it for so long. It just isn’t scary anymore. I think people are too used to it.

However, my skepticism is breeding a growing curiosity. While I am not fond of the worn out, over-used “freakshow” horror flicks, I do enjoy the creation of a new horror movie monster.

Like I’ve said before, the horror genre is a world flooded by remake after remake. I don’t think I can handle seeing Michael Myers stalking the kids of Haddonfield in another sequel. It is time for the cycle to begin again.

We saw this surge in the early 70s where movie monsters were being redefined. Instead of the Universal Studios monsters like Franskenstein and the Wolfman, we were blessed with the likes of Michael Myers and Leatherface. That proved to be enormously successful for the decades that followed because it made the villains more human. Which, in turn, made them scarier. 

But recently, movie-goers are being disrespected with the constant remakes and sequels to tired out franchises. Instead, horror fans should be spending their hard-earned money to see something completely original and creative. Fans deserve a new face for the genre. That is what intrigues me about Madison County. While it could prove to just be the same old ripoff of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, it could also be bringing forth a new face of horror that will once again start the cycle of originality that is desperately needed.

Madison County currently has no release date posted for the U.S., but if you’re interested in seeing what I saw, watch the trailer below and tell me what you think.

This entry was posted in Horror News and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to “Madison County”: Skepticism (In)Breeds Curiosity

1. dog breeding says:

I really enjoyed your site and the information that you have on it. please take a look at mine when you get a chance thanks!!