Stacey Rate

Blog #1

Filed under: Blogs — slrate at 7:04 am on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Who am I…

I am an artist. I have made art since I can remember. The reason for me making art is so that I can express myself. Nobody can tell me that I’m wrong because it is something I made myself. They can try, but in the end if I am comfortable with my work, then it doesn’t really matter what others think. I don’t like people telling me that my art has to be a certain way because then I believe it’s not my own.  I make art because it makes me happy and it’s my passion. Ever since I was a little girl I was always snapping photos of people. Although, I wasn’t always a good or even great photographer. Even though I would sometimes cut off heads of my subjects, I was still excited after the pictures were developed. My mom couldn’t get them developed fast enough. As soon as she would have one in the store getting developed I would have three more for her to take to be processed.

The sources of my ideas are just anything that I find. I like taking pictures of everyday objects that nobody would think of even looking at as art. I really love taking pictures and drawing things in nature. If it’s anything different, then I will probably like it and use it in my art. (As long as it’s not a bug or something disgusting like that.)

I probably learn under quiet conditions the most. I like to listen to what my teachers are saying and take it all in. They have been in art longer than I have so I really try to take what they say to heart. It’s hard for me to learn if there is too much noise going on. I can listen to music and quiet talking and still focus on what I am doing, but loud noises distract me very easily.

I have used pretty much every material you can use for photography. I have used charcoal, ebony drawing pencils, and colored pencils. I used photo flo, dektol and other chemicals for photography because I took photography in high school and my goal is to become a professional photographer. Therefore, I needed some experience with developing negatives, prints, and contact prints. I used all of the other materials in art class and at home when I was doodling.

What defines my urge to pick up those items and make art is that it makes me happy. I love working with my hands and I love seeing the outcome of something that I made myself. I can’t help but smile when people are commenting on my work because it gives me a sense of accomplishment. I accomplished what I set out to do, make myself and others think in a different way about art and at the same time I was doing something that I love. 

I have about 1700 songs on my ipod. I usually listen to alternative, punk, and oldies. I like any genre of rock and I tolerate certain country, pop, and rap songs. Some of my absolute favorite bands are Paramore, Story of the Year, McFly, My Chemical Romance, and The Goo Goo Dolls.

Who am I?

An artist.

A sister.        

A daughter.        

A friend.    

Self Portraits

sassy 

cute

mysterious  

fierce

devious

secretive                                                                           

crazy

silly

ME