Sad story out of Colorado

By now I imagine most of us have heard about this story, for those of us who have not I can recap it here.  Michelle Wilkins was looking to buy some baby clothes off Craigslist, for her unborn baby; she was 34 weeks pregnant. Wilkins entered the home of Dynel Lane who proceeded to attack her and attempt to cut the baby out of her.  The point of the Article here is to explain why Lane will only be facing attempted murder instead of first degree murder, which the prosecutor wanted.

This story is by far one of the most disturbing events I have heard about recently, however for the sake of examining the article here it is.  For the most part this article is comprised of informative speech.  However when the writer interviews the prosecutor, the prosecutor shows some elements of attempting cognitive adjustments.  Which is to attempt to change the way your readers or listeners think about a subject.  The prosecutor is almost apologizing for not being able to charge Lane with more.  He shows how disappointed he is with the current laws, that since the child did not breathe on its own, the child cannot legally be represented as a person.  I’m sure there are many more elements from this story that could be discussed, this is the path that I have chosen to go down.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Sad story out of Colorado

1. njbutch says:

I agree with you that this is one of the most disturbing events to surface recently.Laws and policies are wonderful things, but sometimes they can just be downright stupid. It seems like in this case, a middle-schooler could have thought this law out better than legislators. I would definitely think that this would qualify as murder. I think that this policy, where the baby has to live outside the mother, should be changed. One could compare this to abortion. I think that somehow, something needs to be done about this law because if you read the article, you can infer that there was clear intent to kill the fetus.