What to watch at Supreme Court gay marriage arguments

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/28/politics/supreme-court-gay-marriage-arguments/

As I write this blog, our Supreme Court is again addressing the argument of same-sex marriage. To date, 32 states have legalized marriage between same sex couples; however, a loss in the Supreme Court today could reverse the strides that have been made for the equality of the LGBTQ Community. Seven out of ten Supreme Court Justices have stated that they are in support of same-sex marriage and it is their task today to enforce the bans that remain in states that continue the discrimination; will all 50 states be forced to comply? The Fourteenth Amendment of our constitution is in question; our country must uphold the law for all states regarding this atrocity. The Christian Coalition and Moral Majority have demoralized American citizens by denying this basic right to couples who have committed their lives, their love, and their financial responsibilities to each other. Marriage is a legal contract; to deny this legal right to same-sex couples only reinforces Christian assimilation. We have to demand the separation of State and Religion to get passed this injustice. According to Denton and Kuypers’ Politics and Communication in America states, “As a nation, our greatest threat is internal, not external. We must stem the growing tide toward political cynicism and despair” (p 334). When Americans view our government as denying the same rights to one group of people when it is clearly legal for others (heterosexuals vs. non-heterosexuals), dissension among the nation occurs. Today’s Supreme Court decision is crucial; much is at stake to ensure equal opportunity is afforded to ALL Americans. “We must find common themes and values that transcend our ever-deepening cultural differences” (p335). Otherwise, bigotry, hate crimes, prejudice and discrimination will continue to plague our “Land of the Free and Home of the Brave.” Just once, I would like to see a candidate, Republican, Democrat, Libertarian or Independent (WHOEVER!) has the courage to actually represent the many disenfranchised groups in American who have been bullied, ignored, and victimized by the obvious lack of representation in our government. We are not a dichotomous people; we are a collective of many cultures and should never be seen in two separate parties or two separate views. It is high time to recognize the hegemony of this insane type of governance.

About Victoria

I am a non-traditional student and will graduate in August of 2015 with my Bachelor of Liberal Studies degree. I have been a Certified Interpreter for the Deaf since 1983; upon graduation my sales career will focus on equipment to aid communication for Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing people. My interests include Feminist issues, the Deaf Community, and Native American Rights (my parents were Creek and Ojibwa First Nations People).
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to What to watch at Supreme Court gay marriage arguments

1. constab says:

Vickie I agree with your assessment that this articles show the difference with internal and external threats. I also believe this article shows greatly on how in Chapter 14 we discussed the Courts and how they play a large role in politics. Just think if the Supreme Court of this great nation says that under the 14th amendment same-sex partners should have the right to marry and have the same rights and opposite sex partners have. How extraordinary would this be and how will this change the political arena on how the candidates run. We learned that what the functions of the court was which is to enforce the laws that congress has put into place. However, each State has their own set of rules however; some states in creating their laws can violate federal laws that protect every American. I truly hope this law passes and same-sex marriages can take place where ever and they all have the same rights as opposite sex marriages have.