Media as junkyard dogs

This story talks about a hunting ranch in Texas, owned by the family of the governor of Texas Rick Perry who is also a Republican primary candidate seeking his party’s nomination for President of the United States. The “problem” is that the ranch is named “N___head.” The ranch is located in Throckmorton County. The story talks about the counties lack of diversity for the last fifty years. The story called Throckmorton a “no-go zone” for blacks because of stories about a lynching of a black man. In the story Mr. Perry tells us that his exposure to people of color was very limited growing up in the area. The story goes on to say that residents of the county never thought much of the name one way or another, and that it was at the entrance not used since the 90’s. It also informs us that these types of epithets still exist as titles of locations in many areas of the country. This story is an example of the Media as junkyard dogs. Mr. Perry has been in public office most of his adult life, he has been the governor of Texas since George W. Bush vacated the office to become President. My guess is that this is probably old news for many, but the junkyard dog media made this a national story by virtue of Mr. Perry’s seeking the Republican nomination for President. It is a convenient scandal that sells newspapers.http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/rick-perry-familys-hunting-camp-still-known-to-many-by-old-racially-charged-name/2011/10/01/gIQAOhY5DL_story.html

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Media as junkyard dogs

1. sswanso says:

There are a number of potential issues with this article. However, Dina I think you do a nice job of connecting this junkyard media idea to the story. I must admit that I have limited knowledge on this candidate and after reading this I was highly angered. I feel that one of the most important qualities a President must have is the ability to relate to the “average” American. This is obviously important for a number of ways, this country has suffered from much oppression, and an issue such as this in 2011 sadly does not shock me. My issue is that many of his supporters and alike will read this article and side with him actually buying the fact that his family had no idea that their was offensive wording attached. To say this was new information and that he “agreed” with the decision to paint over the wording seemed as if it was done because of his recent position in the media. Also, I do not want a President that has never been exposed to other cultures and really has no real understanding of race in America. This article presents many issues and I just hope people will read between the lines.

2. batman games says:

I’m extremely impressed with your writing abilities as well as with the
    structure to your blog. Is that this a paid topic or did you modify it yourself?
    Anyway keep up the nice high quality writing, it is uncommon to look a great weblog like this one nowadays..

my webpage batman games