Tips for a Healthy Heart

photo by lululemon athletica

Being healthy is more than just having a slim physique. There are tons of slim women who do not work out regularly, or have a healthy diet.

I experienced this personally when my mother had a heart attack at 42 years old. Thankfully she fully recovered, but her heart attack really made me think twice about the health of my own heart. Here a few tips from Shape magazine about how to make sure your heart keeps ticking for a long time.

Hold the salt

Salt is abundant in almost everything we eat. Eating too much salt leads to higher blood pressure which makes your heart work harder than it needs to.

One of the first things my mother had to do after her heart attack was dramatically reduce the sodium she ate. Nearly five years later she is still on a 1,500 milligram sodium limit.

A great alternative to salt is using spices and herbs to flavor food. Be careful that your spices are not high in sodium as well.

Hit the gym

This one seems obvious. Everyone needs at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. If your too busy break it up. When you wake up plug in your ipod and just dance for ten minutes. During lunch instead of sitting down and eating, take a stroll around the building. It may not break you out into a sweat but at least your doing some kind of activity.

Pump some iron

While your at the gym don’t stay on the elliptical the entire time. Pick up some weights. The American Heart Association recommends that healthy adults do full body resistance training twice a week. This may sound intense but it’s not as grueling as it sounds. Check out MedicineNetfor all your resistance training answers.

Put out the cigarette

It’s no secret that a career of smoking will eventually catch up with you. Smoking is bad for your lungs as well as your heart.

Take time to smell the roses

After a long day don’t forget to take some time to relax and de-stress. Live a healthy lifestyle. There are so many small things you can do to accomplish this. Cut off the television before you go to bed and read a book or magazine instead. If reading is not your thing try meditation or yoga.

Self magazine has a few yoga moves you can use to de-stress anywhere. You can also find a quiet spot, dim the lights, close your eyes and take some deep breaths. Just taking a minute to stop and breathe will help you feel more relaxed.

You only have one heart make sure to take the best care of it you can.

This entry was posted in Fitness, Happy Heart and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Tips for a Healthy Heart

1. VR Herod says:

Just found your blog and love it! These are very useful healthy heart suggestions. People think that cooking without salt means eating bland food. Not true! I’ve used many of the recipies found in No Salt cookbooks and my kids don’t miss the salt.

2. Cynthia Herod says:

I liked your information on heart health. I also plan to try the recipes posted. Thank you!

3. angela says:

As I get older, I am understanding the importance of treating my body right. Moreover, the importance of not letting everything get to you. Your story about your mother was very inspirational. At 42 she suffered a heart attack. That must have been a horrendous experience for her. Taking care of our mind, body, and soul is the key to longevity.

4. Kimberly Frederick says:

Very informative article. I have been trying a variety of herbs to replace my salt intake. After a few weeks of using herbs instead of salt. I was unable to eat foods high in salt. Everyone should try to lower there salt intake, it for our health!

5. mygolflady says:

Very informative, thank you.
    I’m in my mid 40’s. I think it is important to start taking good care of one’s health as early as possible. I do everything you posted here, and stay away from alcohol.