Energy Boosters at Work
It is easy to get drowsy while you’re staring at one thing for an extended amount of time or sitting in the same seat for hours. There are simple things to do to increase your energy and to help time go by faster in the office.
- Take the stairs! Walking up and down stairs is a great exercise and provides an energy boost.
- Jumping jacks. Simple, quick and pumps you up.
- Use a stress ball in order to relieve stress and take out frustrations at work.
- Try word puzzles or other puzzles to keep the brain busy.
- Switch hands with whatever you’re doing. .
- When you first arrive at work, take as long as possible before sitting down.
- Hand-deliver mail, memos and faxes.
- Chat face-to-face instead of by e-mail or phone.
- If you need a restroom or lunch break, take the long way.
- Walk around while on the phone.
- Stand up and walk around during meetings.
Sitting at the office all day can produce stiffness in the neck and an uncomfortable feeling in the muscles. This makes for a difficult work setting. There are some easy-to-do stretches that you can do right at your desk!
Torso stretch: Reach your hands as high as possible to the ceiling while inhaling. Bring them back down slowly as you exhale.
Shoulder stretch: Sit upright and bring the left arm across the chest. Keep arm steady by holding it up with the right arm steady on the elbow. Hold for a few seconds and release. Repeat these steps with the other arm.
Triceps stretch: Sit upright and place your left elbow in your right hand. Reach your left hand over your head and place the palm of your hand on the middle of your back. Keep attempting to reach your hand further down your back. Repeat with the other arm as well.
For more stretches like these, visit: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_articles.asp?id=1263
Interested in other stretches?
Core Stretch is offered now for free till March 24th and Yoga is offered for free March 29th –April 21st.
Contact Caitlin Spontelli at email@example.com to sign up!