The OhiOntario International Friendship Games were held from 1994 to 2001 to “demonstrate a community approach to international goodwill by promoting active living in the sister cities of St. Thomas, Ontario, and Bowling Green, Ohio.”
BGSU Recreation and Wellness is participating in the annual NIRSA Recreational Sports and Fitness Day by celebrating what we do all week long! A featured activity of the week is to capture exactly what recreation means to BGSU by showcasing it through photography. Be a part of the excitement by participating in the Photo Journal Project. See your work possibly featured on the Recreation and Wellness website, in social media, entered into NIRSA contests, or possibly displayed at the Student Recreation Center.
- Open to any BGSU student, faculty, or staff member 18 years of age and up.
- Open to any Student Recreation Center Member or Recreation and Wellness program participant 18 years of age and up.
- Before taking the photo, permission must be granted. Photos must be taken on the BGSU campus between Monday, February 22 and Saturday, February 27, 2016 depicting themes related to recreation, sport or wellness.
- Photos may be used on any BGSU website, social media, blog, online photo album, on display at the SRC, entered in the NIRSA Creative Excellence contest, or be chosen as a feature in a photo book.
- Working out at the SRC or anywhere on campus
- Walking, running, jogging
- Lifting weights or using exercise equipment
- Falcon Fitness
- Climbing the Wall
- Attending a Wellness Event
- Your sport club or team
- Intramural sports
- Showing how you, friends, or family live a healthy lifestyle
- Healthy eating
- You and your swolemate
- Recreation Facilities including the SRC, Field House, Golf Course, or other related areas on campus
- Take a photo of what recreation at BGSU means to you
- Submit the photo by Sunday, February 28 at 5 PM
- Multiple submissions per person are permitted
View a complete schedule of events for the week here.
Show your artistic abilities and design the next Intramural Sports Champion T-Shirt!
T-Shirt Design Contest Rules
- Entry Deadline: November 13, 2015
- Contest open to current BGSU students only.
- Design may be created by hand drawing or through electronic means.
- Entries must be submitted electronically to email@example.com in one of the following formats, not larger than 2KB in size: (JPG, PDF, EPS, GIF). Hand drawn designs must be scanned and attached to the email.
- Layout Size: 11″ x 11″ maximum
- BGSU Marks: Per BGSU Marketing and Communication guidelines, all submissions are subject to change and approval prior to final selection.
- Shirt Design Details: Screen printed design, using a maximum of 2 colors of ink, including a front and back design on a single color t-shirt.
- Usage: Upon submission of contest entry, the design becomes the property of BGSU subject to changes.
- Winner 1 is selected by a committee of Recreation and Wellness staff.
- Winner 2 is selected through online fan voting on the Recreation and Wellness Facebook Page from November 16 – 18.
- Winner 1: Selected by a committee of Recreation and Wellness staff.
T-Shirt Design used on t-shirts for the following season.
$50 Buffalo Wild Wings Gift Card
- Winner 2: Selected through online fan voting on the Recreation and Wellness Facebook Page.
T-Shirt Design used on t-shirts for the following season.
$50 Panera Bread Gift Card
Winners annouced November 20, 2015 via Campus Update and Recreation and Wellness social media.
Are you looking for a good resume builder but also could use some extra cash in your pocket? If so, working for the Department of Recreation and Wellness may be the right choice for you.
According to the BGSU Career Center, there are more than 4,300 students that work on-campus. The Department of Recreation and Wellness offers opportunities to students that are looking for a job on campus. RecWell employs between 200 and 300 of these students to work at the Student Recreation Center (SRC), the Ice Arena (IA), Perry Field House (PFH), and Forrest Creason Golf Course.
Working for RecWell can be beneficial for students because there is a chance to grow and advance within the department. Employees are rewarded with Rec Bucks when they go above-and-beyond their call of duty and there is a Student of the Month award given out monthly to the department’s hardest workers.
Student employment jobs are put into a category that signifies their rank within the department. Jobs can range from Level 1 to Level 4. Level 1 positions are the entry level jobs, and the highest positions with the most responsibility are put into Level 4.
If you’re just starting a job with RecWell, Level 1 is where most employees will begin. Some of the jobs included are: PFH Attendant, SRC Floor Attendant, and IA Skate Shop Attendant, among others.
Andrew Clair, an employee at the SRC, has made the most of his time working with RecWell.
“It’s been a great place to work,” explained Clair. “I’ve met a lot of cool people and I really enjoy what I do. I started the job this summer and I’ve already learned so much in my short time here [with RecWell].”
Those who perform exceptionally well on the job can receive a promotion to Level 2, which includes managerial positions throughout all departments within RecWell. Level 3 positions include managers of the SRC and PFH among others. Supervisor positions, the highest position a student employee can hold, are categorized in Level 4.
Each level holds more responsibility than the next and at the same time offers more of a reward. Not only will holding a higher position within the department teach you more about working in a fast-paced environment, you will also earn more money for your work.
“This [job] will look great on my resume,” said Clair. “It doesn’t hurt to add as much experience you can in any department on campus and I think working at the Recreation Center will only help me in the future when I start my career. For students who have no work experience, I recommend trying to find a job with RecWell.”
If a practicum, internship, or graduate assistantship is what you need, RecWell offers excellent opportunities as well.
For more information, check out the Employment Opportunities page on the RecWell website.
BGSU and non-BGSU groups can rent a variety of facilities at the Perry Field House, Student Recreation Center or Ice Arena
Summer may seem far in the distance, but it is never too early to book a space for an event. Depending on the event, BGSU and non-BGSU groups can rent spaces from three different locations on the BGSU campus: The Perry Field House, Student Recreation Center and Ice Arena. Each location offers different, rentable areas for a variety of events. These areas will provide groups with safe, reliable and fully-functional spaces that can be used for wedding receptions, practicing sports, swimming, ice skating and so much more.
Each location offers unique spaces with a variety of rental rates. Follow the links below to see which location and space can best serve you.
The Perry Field House has six areas available for rental: The Track Room, Turf Room, Sports Care Center, Conference Room and Foyer/Lobby. These areas are ideal for holding sport practices, physical therapy and/or physical therapy training and meetings.
The Student Recreation Center has ten areas available for rental: Gym Courts, Andrews Pool, Cooper Pool, Racquetball Court, Wallyball Court, Climbing Wall, Dance Room, Multi-Purpose Room, Youth and Family Room and Full Facility (excludes pools and climbing wall). These areas are ideal for holding birthday parties, dances or dance practice, exercise classes, swimming lessons or parties, after-prom activities, family/individual/group racquetball, basketball and/or wallyball games.
The Ice Arena has three areas available for rental: The Main Ice, Multi-Purpose Ice and lounge. These areas are ideal for curling hockey, figure skating and/or recreational skating, wedding receptions, after-prom, retirement parties, academic seminars, business meetings and family/group organizations and outings. Renting the Multi-Purpose Ice along with the Lounge is widely popular.
If you are interested in hosting your summer event at the University please use the following links for registration and booking information: Perry Field House, Student Recreation Center and Ice Arena.