wesleyp's blog

October 31st, 2010

LRND6820 – Summary of UDL

Posted by wesleyp in LRND6820  Tagged ,    

I think that Frank did a wonderful job summarizing the article on Universal Learning Design.

I think Universal Learning Design can simply be defined as  “Focusing research, development, and educational practice on understanding diversity and applying technology to facilitate learning.”

I think that the following statement is important “UDL provides a vision for breaking the “one-size-fits-all” mold and therefore expands the opportunities for learning for all students with learning differences,” but I also think that it is important to not only highlight the fact the UDL helps students with learning disabilities, but ALL students. Making easy to remember connections in the material and engaging students in the content they are studying is important for everyone.

1. Did the multiple formats available allow for equality among all learners by applying UDL practices?

I agree that having multiple formats allows for equality among learners. I love visuals, and I’m a hands-on kind of guy. I learn best with a combination of graphics & text along with an action item. Audio works for me only in certain situations. The voice has to be perfect, and I have to be in the mood to listen. Audio books are hit or miss for me.

2. How would you use UDL tools and activities to enhance your design for learning?

I think that engaging students with an activity at the end would be most beneficial. While actually getting the content across is important, I think the student wanting or needing that information is equally important. I learned throughout undergrad that an action item, something as simple as re-typing my notes does wonders. It is amazing how much more information I retained when I typed added a new dimension to engaging with my content by re-typing or summarizing material.