Larissa Leck’s Story

Larissa Leck, B.S. in Visual Communication Technology (2018)
Recreation and Wellness Lifeguarding Class Participant (2014)

The instructors were supportive and encouraging to everyone and gave us the confidence needed to try our best and succeed.
I have been swimming since childhood and as my high school swim career was winding down, I decided to take the step of becoming a lifeguard. Taking the certification class at the Rec helped me achieve that goal quickly and successfully.

Although I was a little nervous to sign up for the class, after all the requirements stated that all participants had to retrieve a brick from the bottom of the deep end of the pool, the instructors were supportive and encouraging to everyone and gave us the confidence needed to try our best and succeed with the both the practical and written skills portions of the tests.

In the lifeguarding class we learned everything from basic pool and water safety to life-saving skills. We were in the pool part of the time, practicing and learning from each other by stepping through scenarios, and in a class room at other times, watching informational videos and learning dry land rescue techniques. We practiced first aid, CPR, and water rescues to the point where everyone memorized the procedures and steps to take in the event of an emergency, and I was able to pass the Red Cross test with flying colors.

Because of the quality instructors, I learned by example, not just how to perform the skills, but also how to teach them. I have been able to assist at the pool where I work in training newly certified lifeguards being responsible for overall pool safety and first aid. Even if I wasn’t working as a guard or at a pool, I’d be glad to have gained this important set of skills so that I am prepared to save a life if I ever encounter a situation where I am needed.

In addition to acquiring a lifeguarding certification at BGSU, I also completed a Water Safety Instructor Course. This class was conducted in a blended format of online and in-person classes and because of this qualification, I am able to conduct and lead learn-to-swim lessons for the Bowling Green Parks and Recreation department.

Visit the Recreation and Wellness website to read more testimonials.

Learn More About Lifeguard Training