Michael Bulkowski from Revolver

I loved having Michael Bulkowski from Revolver visit us yesterday! You can learn more about Michael’s restaurant at this site. Michael spoke to us for a little bit about his past as a chef. Michael learned to cook in the kitchen, not at some culinary school, which I think is more practical and natural. He spent some time in Las Vegas and then moved on to Chicago where he became interested in local food. Michael now owns Revolver restaurant in Findlay and tries to focus on local ingredients and rotates items seasonally. I thought it was really interesting to learn that Michael has never served a dish twice in his restaurant. He rotates the menu weekly, and while he may make a similar dish to something he’s served before, he’s never served the same thing twice. Revolver sounds like an amazing restaurant and I would love to go there someday.

I agree with Michael’s philosophy on food, and over the summer I hope to shop at our farmers market in Perrysburg and to cook some fresh, local food. I completely agree that it is so important to fuel local economies by purchasing local, and if for no other reason, the ingredients are just so much fresher. Plus, you KNOW where the food is coming from. That is shockingly not a common occurrence. I, however, disagree with Michael on his stance against organic food. After writing my research essay I understand that organic items are being influenced by large corporations, but it is possible to consume organic items and still receive the benefits these foods provide, if one is an educated consumer and continues to shop local.

Michael made us an AMAZING meal with foods I had never had before. We had a slowly poached egg, which I surprisingly really liked, even though soggy eggs usually freak me out. We also had lentils with fresh bacon and a duck sauce, and fried bread with parmesan cheese. I’m not doing justice to this meal by trying to describe it, it was so good. I loved getting to see a real chef cook, but at the same time I kept imagining that he probably felt like he was in a zoo being stared at the whole time. It was a really special experience!