Special Guest: Ed Lachowski

I really enjoyed having Ed Lachowski visit our class and speak about organic farming.  He seemed really well informed on the topic, since he gave many reasons to buy items grown organically, and was able to answer everyone’s questions.  He explained how farming affects ecosystems, and the most important reason to farm organically is that organic farming tries to have a less negative impact on the environment.  I also enjoyed when he passed around the tomatoes and we looked at the labels to see where they came from.  Usually when I buy produce at the supermarket I wouldn’t think twice to check the sticker, and I wouldn’t have a clue what any of the information on the sticker meant.  Now I know to look for the number nine on produce stickers, since that signifies that the item is organic.  I also thought it was interesting to hear about saving seeds and heirloom varieties.  I was shocked to learn there are so many varieties of vegetables in the world (like over 4,000 different types of tomatoes alone), and we generally only consume a few types of a certain vegetable in our lifetime.  Next time I go to a farmer’s market I want to buy some vegetables and vegetable varieties that I’ve never had before, even if it means finding a yellow tomato.  Overall, I really appreciated having Ed speak to our class, and it really helped me settle on a topic for our upcoming research essay – I’ll be writing about organic foods.

tomato-cluster