Lucy Long comes to Visit!

I really enjoyed having Lucy Long speak to our class, especially since we had just read her article “Green Bean Casserole and Midwestern Identity: A Regional Foodways Aesthetic and Ethos.”  I agree with many of the topics Lucy brought up in her conversation with us. 

I had never really considered how different foods speak for the region or culture that they come from, but I see this now after having Lucy visit.  She explained how one’s culture and social standing impacts a person’s tastes and the types of food eaten.  For example, Lucy explained how lobster was once only eaten by poor fishermen, since it looks so bug-like and was unappealing to the middle and upper classes.  Today, this has changed, as lobster is now seen as a delicacy and is rarely eaten by the poor since it costs so much.  Also, to many people foods like caviar, escargot and sushi are seen as inedible, simply because that person was raised in a culture or a social class which had little contact with these foods. 

Another topic Lucy discussed with our class was how certain foods can relate to memories and have special meanings for different people.  Lucy gave us the example of how her son had a bad experience with lobster as a child, and has been a vegetarian ever since.  Eating certain foods can also trigger specific memories, like when I eat salt water taffy I remember visiting Boston and Cape Cod when I was younger. 

Overall, I really enjoyed having Lucy Long visit and the green bean casserole that we ate in celebration of her article was delicious.  I’ve always had green bean casserole at Thanksgiving, and my family usually just makes it from the can, but I liked the organic, healthier version much more.  I might just make it next year for Turkey Day!