Hello!

By , January 11, 2010 8:22 am

Hello, and welcome to GSW 1120, Academic Writing! I’m Steve Edgehouse (you can call me Steve), and I’ll be your instructor this semester.

A few things about myself:
• This is my seventh year as a full-time instructor in General Studies Writing (GSW). I love my job.
• I’m married to an education professor, Melissa.
• We have a cat, Stirfry.
stirf
• I enjoy reading, writing, running, listening to indie music, and, lately, I’ve really gotten into Renaissance art.
• I’m an avid Cleveland sports fan—Go Browns!
But enough about me. You’ll learn more about me this semester than maybe you’ll care to. ☺

Here are the things I need you to do as soon as possible:
1. Download and read my Achievement Requirements, available in Course Documents on Blackboard.
2. Buy all textbooks.
3. Watch my screencasts (hereafter referred to as Screenrs) about my Achievement Requirements.
4. Head over to and check our class blog: http://blogs.bgsu.edu/estevegsw
5. Download and read our course syllabus and begin completing assignments for this week. Your first “due date” is 11:59 Thursday.
6. Sign up for a Twitter account (if you haven’t already).
a. Search for an follow me (@estevegsw)
b. Twitter gives us a great opportunity to stay “in touch” even on days when nothing’s assigned/due, so familiarize yourself with it ASAP!
7. Send me an email (esteve@bgsu.edu) and tell me about:
a. your technology situation:
i. How comfortable are you with technology?
ii. Have you taken any other online courses?
1. If so, what did you think of them?
iii. What sort of computer will you be working from this semester?
iv. Does your computer have a microphone and/or a webcam?
v. Can your computer support a Skype account? (http://www.skype.com)
1. (If so, then sign up for one.)
b. your personal situation:
i. Is there anything extraordinary about your life (that you didn’t post to the discussion board) I’m better off knowing now as opposed to later?
c. your writing situation:
i. How comfortable are you as a writer?
ii. What do you hope to get out of this class?
iii. What previous GSW classes have you taken, and with whom?

Get in the habit of checking your email, Blackboard, and this blog for updates from me, and I look forward to working with you this semester to help make you a better writer!

One thought on “Hello!

1. Cindy kendall
    8:01 pm - 1-12-2010

Good evening Steve
    Thank you for all your quick replays to all my e-mails. I am not real familiar with all this new technology or have a lot of knowledge about the computer. I am learning with the help of the Tech lab on campus. Writing papers is also new to me. I never had to write them . I have used the writing center a lot last semester.
    MLA is new to me. We use APA in the ATE program and I was just getting familiar with it at the end of last spring semester.
    I have taken all my classes so far on the computer. Three of them so far. Tech 310 and 311. Also a food and nutrition class. I do have a webcam on my new lap top but have yet to use it. I also use the computer labs on campus a lot and will find me heading to them when I get off work in the morning.
    I have one question . I am not sure what is due Thursday. I have all my books and will start reading my assignments. i have also printed off all the assignments. Are we to read the articles and post the critique by Thursday night?
    I Just wanted to say hello and try this blog and learn more about it. As I have mentioned before all this new technology and ways of communicating is still new and will always be a learning process for me. I get overwhelmed by it easy. But I always seem to muddle my way through it and do ok.
    thanks again for all your help and I hope you do not get tired of hearing from me because I am sure I will be asking a lot of questions. I hope to be more knowledgeable and comfortable with all the ways on how to communicate as well as being a more knowledgeable writer.