Music=Violence??

07 Dec

http://www.media-awareness.ca/english/issues/violence/violence_entertainment.cfm

For some time now, people have tried to connect music to violence saying there is a direct relationship between the two. Using the media centered perspective; one would believe that because a song or television program says that it’s cool to carry guns or start fights, then they must do those things in order to be perceived as cool to their peers. I would argue that music and television has no such influence on individuals because it’s just for entertainment, but given that I believe music can persuade a listener in a positive way, and then it must be able to influence listeners in a negative way. I think it’s more of our youth that are taking the lyrics of songs and actors of television programs so literally, not comprehending that these people are paid to “act”. Even if the artist singing or rapping a song paints their lives to be such a disaster, the children need to realize that either they are flat out lying or embellishing a bit. Either way, they are doing these things in order to get richer and to attract a large fan base. I don’t believe all music or television programs are lies or bad even. There are a lot of positive out there, however I would agree that more celebrities need to be more open and honest given that they can have such a major influence on young people.