High times or still a crime?

With all presidential campaigns comes your major issues, taxes, military spending, economy, ect… With this however purposely hidden behind a veil of hesitation comes what I call ‘second string issues.’ Issues that are out there but perhpas the candidates would rather not talk about them or try to avoid whenever possible. I can’t think of a bigger second string issue than that of marajuana legalization. If one can’t stand listening to the rhetoric of candidates on major issues just listen to how they try and manuever when asked about the legalization of marijuana. This is some comic relief at best. President Obama has sort of floated on both sides of this issue throughout his presidency. Just last week he noted that no major change in federal law will probably take place until he is long out of office. So what about the up and comers? If your a Chris Chrisitie follower you better not be a card carrying member of NORMAL. He stated there is no way under his watch that he would ever consider the legalization of marijuana. On the other hand if your a Rick Perry follower go ahead and pull out those Grateful Dead albums, because you will be singing ‘Casey Jones’ until your hearts content. Perry stated he would decriminalize the use of marujuana if elected. Other candidates like Hilaary Clinton kind of throw out the medical usage safety net. With the medical marijuana usage it gives the candidate a little wiggle room to actually avoid the question all together. With this you will hear things like, ‘Well we need a little more research on the subject’ or ‘perhaps we will wait and see what the states have to say about it.’ Either way it’s fun to watch the candidates squirm when asked about the marijuana issue. Until then America, if you feel like lighting one up, proceed with caution. ‘Nice Dreams’ everybody. http://www.mpp.org/our-work/federal-policy/2016-presidential-candidates.htmln.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to High times or still a crime?

1. Victoria says:

Andy~ You are so right in pointing out how politicians skirt the real issues that matter when an election is in the wings…I want to KNOW who does and does NOT support issues I believe in. There are 20 states that medical marijuana is legal in; yet we have archaic laws that are penalizing innocent people who simply want to be well and not fed the horrible addicting drugs that the pharmaceuticals and doctors shove down the patients throats. My daughter has had Crohns Disease for 30 years so I know first hand why this law should be approved by all states-yet the poor mother in this article has her son taken away by children services for telling the truth about how oil cannibus soothes the pain of the disease. Unbelievable ignorance! Check this out and see if you understand why my stance is so in favor of legalization, not prosecution: http://medicalmarijuana411.com/son-of-medical-marijuana-activist-taken-by-child-protective-services-after-the-11-year-old-spoke-out-to-disagree-with-an-anti-drug-presentation/

2. corycc says:

I think you are correct in how you state that the legalization of marijuana is a “second string issue” the only problem with that is that all of the media outlets try to depict it as a “first string issue”. This can go back to the ideas of framing and agenda setting that we have talked about numerous times before. As you stated most politicians that are running, especially for president, sort of try and brush this topic under the rug. Why do you think that is? Perhaps because there is a lot more important issues that America has to deal with today than the legalization of marijuana. But will the news outlets ever let us forget this debate, will they ever let us go a day without bringing it up and “reminding” us just how very important it is? Of course not. The issue of marijuana will always garner headlines regardless of how big or small the issue. I think that one of the reasons media publications won’t let this issue die is because it reaches a younger demographic that a house bill passing would. I personally can not wait until this issue goes the way of deflategate and disappears in a puff of smoke, one way or another.