Executive Leadership

As we have recently focused on how Presidential elections are run, I wanted to focus on that topic for our last blog entry for this class. Former President Bill Clinton says this in an interview for Town & Country magazine. This is a quote from the article: “In the interview, Clinton also defended the foundation over reports that it had taken money from foreign governments while Hillary Clinton was secretary of state, and in one case violated an ethics agreement with the Obama administration. He called the foundation “the most transparent of all the presidential foundations and more transparent than a lot of other major foundations in the country. It should be, both because I believe in it and because Hillary is in public life, and we’ll get criticized, as some people are criticizing me, for taking money from a foreign government. We did a review of the whole foundation last year.” The focus of our class was Political Communication. On page 257 of our textbook, the role of Executive Leadership is discussed. It states, “Today, the presidency is a social institution; it interacts with the public and the public interacts with the institution.” Will Bill Clinton’s charismatic personality assist his wife in the campaign? Or will it just draw more fuel for the critics to use against her? Public perspectives of the candidates are shaped by our beliefs. if a voter remembers the Monica Lewinsky scandal, that could impact they way that they judge Hillary Clinton’s values, trustworthiness and decision making processes. There are unrealistic demands placed on our candidates for every public office.
~Debbie
Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2015/04/bill-clinton-my-role-should-primarily-be-as-a-backstage-adviser-116730.html#ixzz3WeAGZWlR

About dcarden

Communication Major Minoring in History mom of one- Andrew dog mom of one- Brady
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Executive Leadership

1. akaiser says:

Debbie:

I find this and interesting topics for many reasons. I want to address a couple of the statements in this article in particular. I think it is interesting that the media goes immediately to framing the voters opinion of Hillary. While I understand that most voters will think about the previous Clinton administration when they think about Hillary as a candidate. The voters in some cases certainly should remember how her spouse performed when in office. In most instances Hillary supported Bill in his decisions along with backing his actions. While I am not a Hillary supporter I also have to believe that in America it is viewed as a spouses duty to support the others actions when it comes to holding public office. However, is it right that they support all of their spouses actions or decisions? Regarding the statement of being supportive of their spouses I am going to say probably not and in some cases I am going to guess based on personal experience that they definitely do not always agree with their spouses decisions or the way they execute their decisions. That being said it is probably not right that voters form their opinions of a candidate based on their spouses political actions, but it is typical human nature in America to base one’s opinion on the phrase “tell me who your friends are and I will tell you who you are”. People should base their opinions a persons own credentials and past records, and in Hillary’s case, there are plenty of issues regarding how to judge her character, but that is a topic for another time.