Agenda setting in Indiana is this the case?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/arkansas-house-approves-bill-religious-freedom-law-similar-indianas-n333181

This bill has come to the forefront of the news since the shake up in Indiana with the religious freedom bill. It certainly would appear as if the bill may have been brought to the publics attention as a way to bring back to light discrimination against the LGBTQ community. While the topic of gay rights is certainly in the news often enough, it is most assuredly a hot topic with a large portion of society. It seems to me that when the media finds something to focus on that the readers are interested in, they tend to bring it to our attention in any way possible. The reasons for agenda setting by the media can take place for any number of reason, however in most cases it is originally done because of the media’s interest in politics. However in some cases it is done to sell advertisement and in this case it appears as if once the subject of religious freedom was touched upon in regards to Indiana the media is immediately looking for other opportunities to bring readers to their pages. The timing is also perfect for politicians to voice their opinions and let the public know where they stand on the issue of not only religious freedom but discrimination, and their views of equality with regards to the LGBTQ community which will undoubtedly be a topic for the politicians agendas and views for the upcoming presidential election.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Agenda setting in Indiana is this the case?

1. Victoria says:

I think you have several valid points Tony; politicians at this stage of surfacing are strategically making their issues known to the camps they want future support in. Gay rights have been hammered for decades; it is sad that we have to be privy to a stunt that only smoke-screens bigotry. Religious freedom has been granted Americans for centuries so I think enough is enough of the beating an old dead horse issue. The LGBT Communities have struggled far too long and have come to far to be set back 200 years with this nonsense. I have to concede, however, it never fails to get publicity-right or wrong.

2. acfishe says:

I have been following this story also Tony. It is perplexing to say the least. It is literally a battle between religious freedom and discrimination. What a slippery slope. With this kind of topic the media can feed on this for days, as well as push every divisive button in their arsenal to perpetuate the issue. As for me I feel it’s just the same finger pointing blame game that keeps the media fueled and Americans up in arms over non-sense. While real issues like our national debt, inner city violence, corrupt government officials, …….ect . Go unattended to. If there were only one restaurant or one place to shop in Indiana then I would call it discrimination. However this is not the case. I would simply respect the religious beliefs of the owner and practice my freedom of choice by taking my business elsewhere.