Newt Attacks, Attacks

We have discussed attack ads in class and have worked on creating our own in the election projects. Also, we have learned how to identify an attack ad, such as noticing a black and white screen, unhappy music, or using a person’s word against them. One thing that we did not discuss in detail was how to counter an attack ad. As the presidential elections heat up, we are bound to see more and more attack ads polluting our televisions. We have already seen numerous Republican candidates fall from the top of the polls, because they have been a target for attacks from their opponents. Now, as former Speaker of the House, Newt Gingrich makes his comeback to the top of the polls, he has sensed a pattern and is taking a proactive approach to stopping some of the attacks he anticipates. This story describes how Gingrich has set up a new website called “Answering the Attacks,” in which he attempts to clear the air about anything controversial he may have done in his long standing past in politics. According to the article, Gingrich “has cast 7,000 votes, delivered 1,500 speeches and written thousands of articles as well as two-dozen books”, chances are good for someone to find something against him. It will be interesting to see if this strategy works, and keeps Newt at the top of the polls for the Republican nomination.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/11/20/gingrich-tries-to-preempt-attacks-as-poll-numbers-rise/

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

5 Responses to Newt Attacks, Attacks

1. mccunec says:

I believe attacks ads are a poor way to get your point across. I feel that if you are a good enough candidate to be elected you shouldn’t have to bash on your competition to gain voters. I feel that candidates should stop wasting money on attacking their competition and start spending their money on promoting themselves and the good that they could bring to office. I mean I know that attacks adds have been proven to help candidates win elections like we learned about in class but in upcoming elections I would like to see more self-promotion rather than competition bashing.

2. dwanzo says:

I think setting up a website to specifically address attack ads will enhance Gingrich’s presidential campaign if it is promoted properly. With his great credentials, he should be able to get some earned media coverage on his website so that his followers and others will be aware of it. If people actually know about his website, the idea is that they will see attacks ads implied on him, then visit the website to acknowledge his counter argument. The attack ad season is developing increasingly and Gingrich’s approach could only benefit him and not hinder his progress in the presidential election.

3. alinar says:

This is an interesting article. As the author of the post said, we spend a lot of time looking at the attack ads themselves and not as much time on the responses to the attacks. I think preemptively covering your bases, before the attack ads come out makes a candidate less susceptible to damage later in the campaign. I beleive this action on the part of Gingrich and his team was wise. By doing this, the candidate himself steers the direction in which the attacks go and he forces his opponents to become much more creative in their attacks. However, it can also be argued that one who has much to cover up has much to hide, and the fact that Newt Gingrich is coming out with responses to the attacks before they happen may mean he may have some skeletons in his closet that are in danger of coming out.

4. I like what I read, it is very delicate job to make a political ad, because the product you sell is not only a person but also its ideas, political ideas and etc.

5. batman games says:

Hi there! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a team of volunteers and starting a new project
    in a community in the same niche. Your blog provided us useful information to work on.
    You have done a marvellous job!

Also visit my blog; batman games