Kingmaking during the debate season

In this article featured on Yahoo News recently focused on Republican presidential hopeful Rick Perry and his feelings toward his performance during the recent debates among other presidential hopefuls. The article goes on to discuss that Perry has stated that he believes his partcipation in the debates this early on in the process has been mostly a mistake. Rather than discussing how he could have done better in the debates he states, “So, you know, if there was a mistake made, it was probably ever doing one of the [debates], when all they’re interested in is stirring up between the candidates instead of really talking about the issues that are important to the American people.” This article also discusses Perry’s future plans of skipping debates and participating in more one-on-one discussions and meeting the voters. I see this as an example of kingmaking within the media because its similar to how sports are covered in our society. This type of behavior is very normal after NFL games when the media ask coaches and players about the mistakes they made during a game when the outcome wasn’t favorable. Also, only talking about two of the participants in the debates (Rick Perry and Mitt Romney) shows how the media forces the public to only recognize a couple candidates instead of all the participants.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/perry-says-mistake-him-participate-2012-debates-125805254.html

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

4 Responses to Kingmaking during the debate season

1. sswanso says:

In this article I thought this was an interesting article, and I was shocked that Perry was so honest in this interview about his real thoughts on debates. I think I tend to agree with some of what he was saying in terms of it now being about the issues instead a production, and him wanting to speak to the people. However, as a public figure it is still his job to put on many faces even when it includes him doing things that are not particularly appealing. Regardless of the direction debates have gone these days it is still one of the many outlets that voters use to form their opinion about the candidates. To say he regrets doing these debates after not doing so well also makes him convey a message of not being able to compete against the best. In terms of this being an example of kingmaking I’m not sure how this can be argued, nor do I understand how this can relate to the NFL. However, this was a good article and I think vital to material we have discussed in class.

2. deantep says:

this is good but he has to debate unofficially to get attention. i am sound like a hypocrit but he needs attention. stop talking publicly with other people in debates and waiting until real debate is bad because people wont know what you stand for. although you can say it, you have to drop it ( views) on every thing yo do.

3. deantep says:

also he has bad press often so debates do hurt him hwever he is in the news that people know. this will prove that he is not a failed canidadate.

4. I think one can’t really judge objectively their performance immediately after the relevant event, no matter if it is political debat or sports game. There should be some longer time past in order to be able to see and figure out your mistakes.