A 1.Part 1

January 22nd, 2010 by ddenton

1. Before the WWII there wasn’t an ENIAC, which the first computer,because without war it wouldn’y have been built. It was 50×30 ft long and had 18 vacuum tubes. Because of the ENIAC, Vanner Bush started to think about what else it could be used for. After the war Norbert Wiener completed his theory on cybernetics. Then they both created a foundation for computer scientists called Advanced Research Projects Agengy(ARAP). This foundation lead to the funding of many other advancements in computer science such as the Dynabook by Alan Kay. This led to, Richard Wagner, an opera composer ,developing the idea of an idealized union of all arts. Then in 1916 F.T. Marinetti proclaimed that film was the supreme art form in ,” The Futurisic Cinemas.” Next was Billy Kluver, that let artist use advanced engineering in their work. He created severalworks that involved the audience, and created art that couldn’t have been completed without technology. In 1960 Alan Kay wrote about his idea the Dynabook which basically was the first to think about something taht could be referred to as todays laptops. And then computer science progressed further to modern day.

2.Alan Kay

Alan Kay is the man that was the first person to write about the, “Dynabook,” which basically a laptop but less advanced than what we have now. I liked him because without him I wouldn’t be typing on this laptop right now. He was the first to think about turning computers like the ENIAC into decives used for more than just communication, but a smaller size. It interested me that he wrote  about something that hadn’t been ceated yet. I actually wondered how he came to the conclusion to write about it at such a length.

And I also liked his most recent work that teaches 6 year old kids hard concepts in an easy way and about his last statement about the war in the second link below. It all started from something simple a teacher wanted to do with her kindergarden class.She was teaching them concepts that were way over their heads. But in the end they got it to learn concepts like, gravity,accerleration, and Alan created a new tool for kids to do just that but  with a $100 computer. He even made it simple enough for little kids to be able to understand and use it.

3. What I was most surprised about was how large the first computer was. The reason whyis because I was complained about how big  my computer 2 years ago was, which was a philip, but the first computer was even bigger than it. It amazes me that computers develped from that large  computer to these extremely small ones considering the first ones size.

http://www.w2vr.com/timeline/Kay.html

http://sciencestage.com/v/428/alan-kay-education-technology-children-collaboration-computers-design.html

Posted in Uncategorized | Edit | No Comments »

Posted by on January 26th, 2010 at 8:58 pm