Summon problems reported by Linda Rich

I came across a link to a chapter in an ebook “computational exercises” in Numerical Optimization from SpringerLInk.  The direct link to the chapter didn’t work but 360 Link took me to the ebook, where I could easily find the needed chapter.

as of 6/1/11, 360 Link is not trying to direct-link to the chapter, but just takes you to the 360 Link results page with a link to the book. A problem?

I’ve experienced some weird behavior with PDFs from EJC in IE ( haven’t replicated problem in Firefox).  Try searching for “Understanding Exercise Dependence” (in J. of  Contemp. Psych.).  Following through Find It! it takes me to the article record in the EJC.  However, when I click on the PDF link, nothing happens (I’ve noticed that the URL contains Serials Solutions) or it seems to just reload the article record page.  However, if I then click on the issue link (vol. 39, issue 4) & then select the article PDF from that page, it opens fine.  And then if I go back & try to replicate the problem, the PDF now works fine.   Maybe this is something goofy with my computer setup – see If  you can replicate it.

I was definitely able to replicate this. It’s obviously something between the link resolvers and the pdf launching. We may have to report it to OhioLINK as well as Serials Solutions.

There is definitely a problem with Business Source Complete.  We have access to the Journal of Marketing Theory & Practice only through BSC for 1992- 1996 & I can’t find it in Summon.

We’re now getting results for this search, but they look incomplete and goofy. A problem?

I followed a 2005 LA Times article record in Summon to LN Academic (through 360 Link), but LN only has most current 6 months.  Check out the record in our A to Z list!!  No date at all!

I was able to replicate this as well. We can put local dates in this in our Serials Solutions knowledgebase to prevent that problem. I will ask Sonia to do that. We can also ask SerSol to update their knowledgebase.

RefWorks and Summon from off campus: you get an error unless you log in before exporting to RefWorks. Mark says: “For some reason if you use summon off-campus, and you don’t log in, then when you try to export to refworks you get a link for a wammed Refworks entry. Since Refworks isn’t wammed you get the error.”

So we either have to add RefWorks to the WAM table or tell users to log in before exporting anything from Summon to RefWorks when they’re off campus – any preferences on which solution we choose?

There are many Mintel Reports in Summon that indicate full text available, but we do NOT have these reports. (Lots of international reports.) Here’s what you get from Mintel when you try to access them: “An error has stopped this page from being displayed. Error Message: You do not have access to the MintelItem 545652. It is likely that the article is not included in your academic institution’s subscription, please contact your library for further information.”

There are a lot of Mintel options in Serials Solutions, but none include any actual full-text titles. Most of them are “Mintel Library Code” followed by a 12-digit number. I couldn’t find a similar number for us in the resource or order records for our subscription, but I wonder if we need to ask Mintel/SerSol to create a custom report group for us to select? We selected “Mintel Oxygen” as our subscription. There’s also the option of “Mintel Reports.” I will follow up on this.

The zero titles question.

Images.

From Carol: Carol Singer has identified an interesting problem with Gov Docs below.  Summon doesn’t seem to be recognizing Gov Docs when limited to “Items with Full Text Online” even when they are full text online.  AND, this doesn’t look to be just a problem with our catalog records as I first assumed.  If you check out her example (see screenshot), the Summon record is solely for an online resource that’s not even in our catalog.  There are also records for Gov Docs that are in our catalog – print & online – that do not get recognized with “Items with Full Text Online”. (see 2nd screenshot)

From Cathi: My Summon RSS feeds aren’t updating.  Last Friday, I set up two RSS feeds, which have remained static, though they shouldn’t have since my search terms were “international monetary fund” and “Dominique Strauss-Kahn”.  All of my other RSS, non-Summon feeds are fine.

From Cathi: The times cited link doesn’t not go anywhere even when an item has been cited. The little dots just go round and round

From Gwen, via the Summon listserv: For some time now, students and faculty have been reporting receiving error messages when trying to refine searches on Summon from off-campus. Summon will perform the search well, but breaks down when you try to make any refinements.

From Gwen, via the Summon listserv: There has also been some confusion over the “journals” facet from students looking for magazine articles or looking to exclude magazine articles. Because this facet includes both journals and magazines, would it be possible/desirable to change this facet to “Journals and Magazines.” This would more accurately reflect the content and help to distinguish it from the “limit to articles from scholarly publications” limiter.