Recent update

Subscribe to RSS feed

Final Project, Final Post

November 27th, 2012 by

With this project, I really wanted it to be something beyond what it looked like, almost like something hidden within my image.  I think I really achieved that by making my patterns out of actual chemical element compound structures.  I started with a science background in school and once I switched to art there were rarely projects where I got to put some of my knowledge to use.  That’s what I liked about this project specifically.

As far as techniques go, I used my standard digital collage techniques.  I used a bunch of textures for each image and combined them and manipulated them so that the color and feel of them somewhat reflect the element and it’s nature.  Much of my art is texture based and abstract, and that is a good reflection of me and my personality as well.

In the beginning of the class I really wanted to try new things that I hadn’t had a chance to try before.  I really like that we were able to experiment, although some of mine did not turn out as well, now I know what not to do!

I wanted these images for my final project to be funky, have a repetitive aspect to them be geometric and colorful.  I do believe that I have succeeded in that aspect.  I am truly happy with how my images are turning out.  I plan to frame them in minimalistic, simple black frames.  The main thing I still need to figure out is what my “energy” source will be to connect all of the frames.  I want something that lights up, so possibly some LED lights strung between each frame.  Hopefully the lights will run on a battery so that there is no unappealing cord hanging.  This will also make them more portable since they will not need to be near an outlet.

Posted in Uncategorized | | | 19 Comments

19 thoughts on “Final Project, Final Post

1.    abush said,

on November 27th, 2012 at 6:05 pm   

I really enjoy this concept, because I get excited when science and art mingle. This piece is really abstract, though, and I don’t know if very many people will be able to read it without some kind of introduction. That isn’t necessarily a problem, though.

2.    lydia said,

on November 27th, 2012 at 6:12 pm   

I really like this concept of the organic elements! The colors and aesthetic tie well with each element. I’m looking forward to seeing what it looks like finished.

3.    jdurk said,

on November 27th, 2012 at 6:16 pm   

I really love your concept, its a lot different than everyone else’s concepts and i can’t wait to see how it turns out!

4.    Alex said,

on November 27th, 2012 at 6:30 pm   

I think it’s a cool idea to add the LED lights. I do agree that people may need an introduction, but even without that it seems to have a very scientific feel. I am curious to see what they will all look like together.

5.    Laura Sprauer said,

on November 27th, 2012 at 6:35 pm   

Mixing science and art is a great concept. It will be interesting seeing chemical compounds be more than just pointless information (coming from a person who sucks at science things)

6.    Cindy Hesson said,

on November 27th, 2012 at 6:40 pm   

I really am enjoying your concept. It’s very different I think, and I love how you are intigrating your textures for the backgrounds! 😀 I am looking forward to seeing the completed images.

7.    tartres said,

on November 27th, 2012 at 6:45 pm   

Im really enjoy your abstract approach to the elements and its very pleasing to look at.