Feed on
Posts
Comments

Technology is reshaping the terrain of education and will continue to do so in significant ways. New technological capabilities enable possibilities for critical thinking, collaborative learning and communication, and are driving educators to rethink teaching and learning. Although it is difficult to predict the future, the impact of technology on higher education will continue as institutions seek to provide accessible learning opportunities to those who need them. What thoughts do you have about the intersection of technology and higher education?

2 thoughts on “Day 8, Sept. 4: Technology and its impact on higher education

1. Carolyn
    3:58 pm - 9-4-2008

Let’s talk about accessibility. Online classes are a great way to start. All one needs to attend class is a laptop and an Internet connection. There will be no more shifting work schedules each semester. No more scrounging for an emergency babysitter because your regular sitter is sick. And no more rushing through lunch because your class starts in two minutes…all the way across campus. If that doesn’t describe an accessible learning opportunity, I don’t know what does.

Set aside physical accessibility for a moment, and think about how we will be able to make our content and resources more accessible to our students. The online classroom is open 24-7 and a lot of the tools used to enhance the classroom run in a web browser. It’s rare that a student will have to invest in an expensive software package just to write a paper. Many of those tools also open the door to activities involving collaborative learning and communication.

Lastly, I feel that bringing technology into the equation also levels the playing field. Students today are already using the same technologies we are just starting to THINK about using to enhance the learning experience. Because of this, students are not engaged by long lectures or presentations with no additional stimulus. Many tools allow you to deliver content in a way that will appeal to multiple learning styles at the same time, making your materials fun, interactive, versatile, and you guessed it…accessible.

I can’t wait to hear what others have to say about the opportunities technology can provide us.

2. Cheryl
    5:11 pm - 9-4-2008

I absolutely agree Carolyn. I am considered a non-traditional student and finding it extremely hard to find online education.

My challenges are I must work 40 hours a week, travel over 30 miles one way to work and any college that I select will entail more travel. Add to this I must find classes that are either after 5:00pm or on the weekend. Flexing time at work is not an option.

If I take classes here at the university, to achieve a Bachelors degree will take me approximately 10 years, if my calculations are correct.

Online classes would afford me the opportunity to learn in my office at home which is set up to be condusive for learning, reduce the time to achieve the degree, cut travel costs, and further my technology skills.

There are co-workers that feel the same way. We are finding that having an education furthers our opportunities in this ever changing world in which we live.