Saeed S. Alshahrani

My expectations about BGSU

Before I came to Bowling Green State University, I had a lot of expectation about BGSU: courses, instructors, students, and systems. I’m sure to say that I changed my mind just when I came for some of those expectation and others during those weeks gradually changed. Unfortunately, I found some things which I had never expected. I am going to write for one thing that I expected before I came and another one in opposite way.

The first point I would like to say is that I expect before I came that the instructors will help the students and understand their situation in some cases. I said that because when I was in bachelor’s degree, the instructors didn’t like to understand the student’s excuses’. I will give you an example to know the differences. My grandfather was dying and I traveled to my hometown to attend the mourning rituals. I absented for three days and the professor was not able to understand my situation. I don’t have the similar case but I found that the professors, in BGSU, can understand me when I ask for excuse.

The second point I would like to illustrate is that I had never expected that the American student don’t like to communicate with the international student. I have some students in two courses and during the first four weeks, I had never talking with any one of them even we went to field trip few weeks ago. Another course which I have been taking with students from another department, I have never been talking with any one of them yet. I am not sure if that is my problem or not but I expected that the native student will be able to understand the situations of international students.

In general, I would like to say that the positive things here in better than the negative. I am very satisfied and able to perform my studies to the fullest because I am here only for the future and ambition.

Saeed