Too Quick to Judge

15 Sep

Just because someone is young doesn’t necessarily mean they are immature and incapable. The way the author, Thomases, describes interns, or recent college grads for that matter, is extremely negative. I have to disagree with with our guest speaker and this article’s author. College graduates who are young and fresh out of school have a lot to offer that older people may not. A lot of classes they are studying revolve around new ways to target specific audiences and how to maximize social media use. Students may lack years of experience, but their strategies are more up to date and can potentially better the companies overall appearance. The author fully believes that giving an intern the key to social media accounts is a path towards disaster. The intern clearly has skills of some sort if a company were to hire them in the first place. They will never learn how to present themselves unless given the opportunity.

My mom asks me all the time about social media. She doesn’t understand the concept of a lot of aspects to it all. I’m 99% positive she never has made a Facebook post in her life and explaining Twitter is still a work in progress. My mom is very technologically in the know as very up to date on a lot of things and is a fantastic writer with skills in marketing, however, handing my 47-year-old mother social media passwords to a company would be an absolute train wreck. She wouldn’t know what to say or how to say it and she would end up making me help her with it. My skills are way more up to date and advanced than hers because of the classes I take to prepare myself with. I understand that interns may be immature and that companies may be concerned about their online reputation, but the right person is more common than what the author made it seem. There’s more than one special college student waiting to take on the social media world; they aren’t that rare of an item.