Hello! My name is Allison Dunn and I am from Sylvania, Ohio. I am a senior print journalism major with a minor in political science. I started my undergraduate education at the University of Dayton. I was absolutely in love with the school and I had an amazing group of friends, but I didn’t feel like I was getting the kind of journalism education I needed. When I was at UD, I worked as a communication assistant for enrollment management. I designed and wrote postcards, pamphlets, letters, etc. for prospective UD students.

I transferred to Bowling Green before my junior year and I feel like my education is more focused, which is what I wanted.

I interned with the Bluffton News in fall 2010. The editors were both May 2010 Bowling Green graduates, so we had a lot in common. Even though the Bluffon News was a weekly paper, I learned a lot because it is such a small town and people rely so heavily on the newspaper for information. I worked with some very friendly people, and some not so friendly people, who expected me to know everything about Bluffton. This was a good internship to start out with because it helped me learn how to work with people and how to handle different situations.

In the spring of 2011, I interned with the BGSU Office of Marketing and Communications. I wrote a variety of press releases and stories for the office. My story about the BGSU Green Fund made the front page of the Toledo Blade’s Campus Connection.

I am still writing for the Office of Marketing and Communications and I’m currently working on my next Toledo Blade Campus Connection story (hopefully another front page?)

When I graduate in May, I would like to do some business communication. I always wanted to work for a newspaper, but after working for the Office of Marketing and Communications, I think I would like to work in a corporate industry. I would also like to go back to school for my master’s degree in public administration. Eventually, I would like to work in Washington, but I’m not sure what I want to do yet.

I’m looking forward to this class!