Jilian’s English 207 Blog Another amazing bgsu blog

February 4, 2009

What’s in a Narrative?

Filed under: Uncategorized — jilians @ 10:51 am

Writing has always been a passion and interest of mine. Yet, when I attempt to come up with an answer for “What is a narrative?” I’m at a loss for words. Again, I’ll revert to my own personal definition. For me, a narrative tells a story. That seems simple enough and yet this can get complicated. Now one must consider what elements are in a story, what a good story is, and what a good story does. A narrative has a definitive beginning, middle, and end. A narrative can inform, entertain, persuade, or even cause the reader to think. Either way, a narrative ought to teach the reader something. The narrative can teach something about a specific topic or a narrative could teach the reader something about him or herself. For me, a story needs certain elements. Thus, a narrative does not necessarily require specific characters but it does require a plot. It ought to include a variety of sophisticated writing tools, such as figurative language. Personally, I find writing to be a singular experience in which the writer can get in touch with him or herself. In this sense, a narrative should have a specific profound effect on the writer and subsequently the reader.

I have an immense amount of experiences with both writing and reading narratives, if my definition of a narrative is accurate. I read and write a great deal. I enjoy getting caught up in a good story and experiences the effects it can have on me. As such, I also enjoy writing a good story (or what I ultimately hope is a good story) and enjoying the cathartic effects of writing. I also enjoy critiquing and analyzing narratives, which I often find myself doing when both writing and reading them.

No Comments »

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL