Article Discussions – Group #1

2012
08.25

Group #1:

Articles: “A Debate on Gay Marriage” by Sullivan/Bennett p.403 & “Satisfactions of Housewifery/Paradise Lost” by Hekker p. 412

Please post your discussion questions using the comment box. Be sure to post 2 questions (1 question for each article)

Due: January 28th before class

7 thoughts on “Article Discussions – Group #1

1. Brittney Williams
    12:10 pm - 1-26-2013

For the article “A Debate on Gay Marriage”, my question is: What does “intrinsically procreative” mean on pg 404?

For the article “Satisfactions of Housewifery/Paradise Lost”, my question is: Why does society put so much pressure on women to have to take care for the children and to have everything perfect for the man?

2. Adam Milligan
    6:21 pm - 1-27-2013

My question for the article “A Debate on Gay Marriage” is: What are other repercussions if the law recognizes homosexual relationships other than sex education in schools and adoption?

My question for the article “The Satisfactions of Housewifery and Motherhood/Paradise Lost” is: What is the definition of “anachronism”(pg. 412)?

3. cshowal
    6:34 pm - 1-27-2013

My question for the article, “A Debate on Gay Marriage” is: In your opinion, does the affirmation of homosexual marriage affect heterosexual marriage? Why or Why not?

My question for the article, “The Satisfactions of Housewifery and Motherhood/Paradise Lost” is: Ladies: Does the idea of being a housewife appeal to you or not? Do you think being a housewife ONLY is doomed for a failure in marriage like the authors?
    Gentlemen: Does the idea of your future wife being a housewife ONLY appeal to you or repulse you?

4. rgonya
    8:16 pm - 1-27-2013

My question for the article,”A Debate on Gay Marriage” is what does euphemized mean on page 205?

My question for the article,”The Satisfactions of Housewifery and Motherhood/Paradise Lost” is: Do you think most women work,instead of being a housewife,to help their family stay afloat financially or just so they can afford nicer things?

5. madeleine bowersox
    12:33 am - 1-28-2013

My question for the article “A Debate on Gay Marriage”: Bennett claims that marriage is “society’s most important institution”- do you agree with this conclusion? Why or why not? Also, do you feel that allowing homosexuals to be married is causing marriage to “deconstruct” as he says?

My question for the article “The Satisfactions of Housewifery and Motherhood/Paradise Lost”: What do you believe Hekker means when she claims that she “treasured a small hope that history might vindicate her”?

6. hannaj
    8:25 am - 1-28-2013

My question for the article, “A Debate on Gay Marriage” is: Incest and marriage between family members is banned, and the article goes on to state “no public sanctioning of a contract should be given to people who cannot actually fulfull it.” Should homosexual marriage also be banned?

My question for the article, “The Satisfactions of Housewifery and Motherhood/Paradise Lost” is what does tenured mean on page 415?

7. Hannah Tempel
    10:02 am - 1-28-2013

My question for the article, “A Debate on Gay Marriage”, is: Why does it matter if a person is gay or not in the military? The paragraph on page 405 states that homosexuals are not capable of the sacrifice. Does that only pertain to gays?

My question for the article, “The Satisfactions of Housewifery and Motherhood/Paradise Lost” is in today’s society, if a women stays home as a housewife, is that looked down on?