International Studies Network

Alumni Interview with Brittany M. Jacoby

March23

International Studies Program: What was your major and minor at BGSU? What year did you graduate?

Brittany M. Jacoby: My major was International Studies and my minor was Political Science. I graduated in 2009.

ISP: Did you have any internships as a student at BGSU? If so, where at and what was that experience like?

BMJ: I didn’t and I wish I had! I tried to get internships with organizations doing human trafficking work in Toledo with no luck. The summer after I graduated I was lucky enough to intern with Amnesty International in Chicago it was a fantastic experience. I would encourage other IS majors to consider pursuing summer internships in nearby cities.

ISP: Did you study or travel abroad as a student at BGSU? What was that experience like for you? What did you learn from it?

BMJ: I did. I was fortunate enough to obtain a scholarship to study abroad for a full academic year at Nanzan University in Nagoya, Japan my junior year. It was a wonderful experience, and I am so happy I did it. My language skills improved exponentially, and it helped me grow as a person.

ISP: Tell me a little bit about your job search after graduation. What difficulties did you face? What do you think helped you?

BMJ: To be completely honest, it was horrible. I feel like no one told me how important it was to obtain extensive internship experience in my field before graduation. I’ve since entered into graduate school where I’ve been able to accumulate experience, but it would’ve been helpful had I started in my undergrad.

ISP: What brought you to your current job? What has your experience been like so far?

BMJ: I currently work on campus at American University in Washington DC as the Program Associate for the Center for Peacebuilding and Development. I found out about the position through my former internship supervisor. I LOVE my job! I get to work on awesome projects all over the world.

ISP: Walk me through a current day for you at your job.

BMJ: I do a variety of things on any given day. Normally, I communicate with international practitioners who have applied for our summer training program. I assist with grant writing and research; right now I’m focusing on a potential project in Iraqi Kurdistan. Finally, I assist with our Education for Peace DC Project, where we our mapping the field of peace education in DC via qualitative interviews with DC organizations.

ISP: Do you have any advice for current BGSU International Studies students?

BMJ: INTERN, and get out of Ohio. One of the best things I did was move to Washington DC, so many more job and networking opportunities here.

ISP: If you could do one thing different or change something about your college experience, what would it be?

BMJ: I would have traveled more, and I would have tried harder to get out of state internships in the summer.

ISP: How did your INST degree from BGSU help you prepare for your current career?

BMJ: I fostered some strong relationships with some of my professors that I have found really helpful. I encourage INST students to take part in additional activities like Model UN to increase their knowledge.

ISP: How has language been a part of your education/helped you after you graduate?

BMJ: It’s been very important; in order to enter into my graduate program (International Peace and Conflict Resolution) I had to speak a second language at an intermediate level.

ISP: What are your future plans and goals?

BMJ: I graduate in May. I plan on pursuing a career in human rights and peace education. I’m applying for the Fulbright to do work in Cambodia in 2013.

ISP: Is there anything else you would like to share about yourself?

BMJ: If you are interested in attending graduate school, interning and/or moving to DC please let me know. I’m happy to help 🙂