header image

Artist Statement

I’m interested in power structures and dominance.  With the recent economic downturn, I’ve started investigating George Orwell’s Animal Farm as a way of explaining some of the conflicts that have been happening with in our economic institutions.  These subjects are addressed using satire and the commercially made “piggy” bank form America is quite familiar with.  This familiar piggy bank form brings with it personal historic relevance: memories of instruction in saving money contrasted with steep personal debt.  My work displays America’s “hood-winkable” nature when it comes to Its finances: personally, locally, and nationally.  At the same time, it addresses the power struggle between buyer, seller, investor, broker, and trustee.

One thought on “Artist Statement

1.   Katie Says:

T-Dog, Thomas, Tommy! Hello.

The first sentence is a broad one, yet to me it really hits home as to what you want your message to be. I’m not sure how to articulate my feelings about the Animal Farm stuff but I’ll try anyway. I think the theme of power and dominance/ manipulation is a great one, as it pertains to so many decades throughout history, including our own. I think using Orwell’s ideas make sense, but I feel like you’re too close to his imagery. Can you go outside of his imagery? Can you use metaphor in a more crafty way? Can you make it relate to you personally and still have it be broad and somehwat universal? For some reason I think (maybe I overheard?) ideas about other sculptures– barrels and corn/oil related? What else are you planning for your show? I know the stack of piggies and then the farm setting. Anything else? How will everything be arranged in the gallery? What relationships will develop between each piece and then the body of work as a whole?

I’m sure these are all things that you’ve thought of, or are thinking of currently. It’s hard to comment too much here, as there’s old work posted with somewhat newer work. I can’t wait to see more!

Okay, that’s all for now. See you later tonight!

Katie