Feed on
Posts
Comments

Blog Assignment Review #2

Sketch 1
Sketch 1
Sketch 2

Sketch 2

Sketch 3

Sketch 3

The sense I attempted to portray visually through this composition was the smell of blood. The smooth and splotchy lines create the flowing blood oozing from the deer’s mouth and the scratchy fine lines emulate the texture of fur on the deer’s body. By juxtaposing these varied line weights and texture I was able to create a tension between the blood and the head of the deer.  The central point of focus within the frame is the deer’s head. In pictures 1 and 2 I added significant detail to the deer’s head, causing one’s eye to linger on this point longer in order to take in every detail. Furthermore, having the deer’s eye open and in the foreground gives one the feeling of uneasiness which is a common feeling associated with exposure to death.

As I was making these sketches I tried to play with the amount of positive and negative space present on the page. In both pictures 1 and 2 I feel the amount of positive space is lacking, thus in picture 3 I made the background completely black, which I think looks pleasing to the eye. Finally, I wanted to experiment with different line characteristics. I attempted to use string and ink in picture 1 and run it across the background of the frame which added a harsh and edgy feel to the picture. Another technique I implemented was taking a brush and splattering ink to represent blood splatter as seen in picture 2.