Who is Michael Savage?

Michael Savage is a conservative host of an AM radio talk show called Savage Nation. He has also written a number of books and among those some have been best sellers. Mr. Savage has earned a Ph.D. in Epidemiology and Nutritional Science from the University of California at Berkeley (“About Michael Savage.”) On Michael Savage’s website they describe Mr. Savage as, “someone with an opinion – who isn’t afraid to tell it like it is.”

My point in telling you a little bit about Michael Savage is not because this blog is a biography about him. I just wanted to let my audience know a little background information about him to lead into the point of this blog. In July 2008, Michael Savage was on the air and commented on autism. He actually said that almost every child with autism is “a brat who hasn’t been told to cut the act out,” (Steinberg – New York Times Article).

From seeing the comments Michael Savage has made about autism I feel as though he is very uneducated and inconsiderate. Savage has a degree in epidemiology and nutritional science but in this article there is no proof that he knows anything about autism or it’s diagnosis. I think Savage is among a lot of people who know very little about autism and other disabilities.

The executive director of Autism United, John Gilmore described the comments of Savage as the way autism used to be seen as like forty years ago (Steinberg – New York Times Article). Autism has become more and more common and more and more research has been done for it. Because of all the research coming out about autism more and more people can learn the correct facts about it.

People like Michael Savage can and should become more educated about autism and other disabilities that Americas face instead of staying ignorant and making false comments about them. I was not the only one offended by the comments Michael Savage had made about autism. In the New York Times article, there were many sources of people who also felt really upset after hearing the comments from Savage Nation that day.

I don’t know how others felt about this incident but it made me feel upset towards Michael Savage. To read the New York Times article I have provided a link below. I have also provided another link that will take you to a blog talking about the Michael Savage comments on autism. Also to learn more about Michael Savage himself, I have provided a link to his own website.

New York Times Article
Special Education Law Blog
Michael Savage’s Website

One thought on “Who is Michael Savage?

1. Megan DeMarco
    11:04 am - 1-29-2009

I am shocked by the comments that Michael Savage made and I find his last name ironic, as he appears to be a savage himself. In 1995 when my younger cousin was 3, he was diagnosed with autism. My parents were always strict with my siblings and I and before Jake’s (cousin) diagnosis, I would hear my parents talking about how he needed to be disciplined. My family knew nothing about autism until Jake was diagnosed, and since then, we have all become more educated about the subject and have a better understanding of why he acts the way he does. This was in 1995. I am appalled that in 2008 a man with a Ph.D. could be so uneducated and ignorant.