Darcy Fine

Another amazing bgsu blog

Children’s Story Poster

Filed under: VCT 4600 — dfine at 3:33 pm on Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The book I chose for my children’s story poster is The Giving Tree. I chose this book because it has great themes in it and it can be interpreted in many different ways. This book is about a boy who finds a tree and the tree always offers him things. As the boy grows up the tree continues to give him things and the boy continues to take them. Towards the end of the book the tree becomes nothing but a stump but the man comes back and the tree still wants to give him something. The tree, which I think represents parents, always gives even if she has nothing left, she tries to give the boy everything. This is similar to parents always wanting to give to their children and expect nothing in return. The tree is representing mother nature, which again is why I think the tree represents parents. I want my poster to represent the growth of the boy and the decline of the tree and how it doesn’t matter how much the tree gives to the boy she continues to give no matter what. Other interpretations are that it is sad that the tree ends up as a stump, but the tree is happy at the end and so is the boy which is all that matters.

The colors I want for the poster are green and red and white. I want to emphasize the give and take but how it is a sweet gesture not just some taking everything and not appreciating it. I chose some illustrations from the book that I want to use to represent the theme. I have included those below. I also did some research and found a lot of information from this website: http://www.edutainingkids.com/reviews/bkthegivingtree.html.