Writing as A Way of Knowing Ourselves

October 20, 2009

As we know that the use of language is detected through speech and writing, and the two are related to each other.  Speaking, in general, is our first chance to create language of our own, which paves the way for us to produce more language in the form of writing. Different as it is, writing makes our thinking visible, and it fosters our ability to explain a complex position. For example, writing out our ideas provides us opportunities to evaluate the adequacy of our argument and to stimulate us to extend a line of thought beyond our first impression. Besides such possibility of changing our way of thinking, writing is also a “technology that has had a profound effect on the way we use language,” such as spelling a word, forming a sentence, or putting together a plot (Leamnson).

However, with the fast development of science and technology, we are more influenced and shaped today by what Walter Ong referred to as the “oral culture,” and the written form of our language becomes in a way quite secondary. Nowadays in China, for example, we have many teaching and learning TV programs, ranging from ancient Chinese philosophy, history, culture to literature with a purpose to enhance people’s knowledge in the whole nation. With such a convenience provided, some people enjoy learning through hearing only. My 14-year old son argued why not to watch the TV program, why he would like be bothered to read, especially to read the ancient literature works if he could find an easier way to get access to those knowledge. But the irony is that when I talked with him about a certain work or a certain philosophical concept, he could only tell that he knew it but could not say it. I don’t deny the great convenience modern technology has brought to us in learning, but my point is that we should focus more on reading and writing since thinking goes along well with reading and writing. If my son could take my advice and give a try by writing down the ideas, whatever, he has got in his mind, he would be able to tell what he has learned even though it was achieved through hearing. As a primary means of retaining self-consciousness over cognition, writing is the process that enables our inner speech and oral dialogue to synthesize. In other words, writing enables us to explore and know more about our own ideas and feelings. As both a teacher and student, I find that I often learn more from writing papers. I have to agree that writing is hard work, but I always find it rewarding.

In this very act of writing, I have enjoyed very much sharing my perception of writing on this special day. I intended to write with my son together; however, he is still in school for his basketball training. What a pity!

A collaborative project to promote the National Day on Writing by the Bowling Green State University Writing Center and the Center for Online and Blended Learning.