BGSU Ice Arena Reflection

December 1st, 2010

The beginning of the tour I found to be the most interesting, since it was the first to be remodeled in the four phases of the renovation. The rubber floor is going to be very useful especially when open skates are taking place. Skaters will now be allowed access from one rink to the other, vending machines, and other parts of the facility pertaining to the lobby. The initial cost might have been high to install such flooring, but I don’t think there will be any hidden costs during its lifecycle. One thing that I woulld be concerned with is the depreciation on the section of the rubber floor where the zamboni will be constantly crossing to get to the practice ice sheet. Another concern that I would consider not only with the flooring materials but with all other phases in the renovation of the arena is the maintenance costs over time. Indirectly, the tour guide did not mention whether a maintenance plan is currently developed but it also sounds like funding is coming in for completion of the renovation as it is made available. The renovations made during phase one might have had some wear and tear by the completion of the fourth phase.

I am really glad that the BGSU Hockey team and the facility itself has been saved, there has been so much history, championships, and quality players to have graduated from the athletic program. The tour was very informative, especially when we visited the mechanical room behind the scenes and saw how the ice was kept frozen.

Below is a link to the newly renovated Matthews Arena near Boston. It is the oldest ice arena in the country

Here is a link to the Arena in Brandon Florida, where are tour guide mentioned had problems with pollution. This is where I learned to ice skate as a kid. Not very many people I met since I moved to Ohio have said they learned to skate in Florida haha. Kind of weird.

http://www.theicesportsforum.com/