BMC

BGSU Ice Arena

December1

The flooring and surfaces of the BGSU Ice arena seems to be efficient for its intended use.  The lobby area allow for skates and sharper objects to be walked on while users may be moving from the auxiliary ice to the main ice.  This prevents skaters from damaging their skates and the floors.  Also, because of the ice arena being a rec facility the walls are appropriately made of concret as regular dry wall would be more prone to damage. 

Overall, I do not like the Bowling Green Ice Arena.  Perhaps if I had seen it when it first opened in the 1960’s I would have a different impression, but now I feel as if it is outdated.  The exterior of the building is bland and not very welcoming.  If I was a student looking to play hockey at BGSU I would not be impressed with the facility, by looking at the outside.  I can see how this would harm recruitment for BGSU Hockey.  Even the interior of the building is not asthetically pleasing.  So my question is, how do we make the BGSU Ice Arena oustanding to other competing ice arenas?  Back when the facility was new, BGSU was known for its Hockey Program and the Ice Arena was a staple in BGSU college life.  How do we bring that back?  What made the BGSU Ice Arena stand out before, which we have lost now?

I know that the ice arena has a lot of history and traditions that go along with the building, but in my opinion the Stroh Center would have been a great place to also incorporate a new ice arena.  This could attract more students and community members to the center for activities, sports and more.