Daily Archives: September 20, 2018

Day 7: 9/19

For today’s class sessions, we visited the Toledo Museum and 20 North Gallery. To be honest, I don’t think I really got anything out of the trips that would really benefit me in the long run of my project and career wise in the future. Yes the displays were, well displayed effectively for the corresponding works, but I just don’t think I can really apply it to my work. I had to come to terms with the fact my type of work is more suited for comics and children’s books rather than galleries, so I couldn’t connect very well to the gallery work and what deemed it worthy of being there.  Despite that, I did find a few of the works to be interesting in arrangement, color and or style. For example, I found Kawase Hasui’s woodblock prints to be aesthetically pleasing. the works were so vivid in color and gradients of color that they felt like something straight out of a comic book. In addition to his work, I found Gajin Fujita’s work, Rider, was something otherworldly with it’s unique combination of urban street life with Japanese iconography.

When we visited the Sculpture X exhibit, it was refreshing to see an artist of color, but I had mixed feelings about the works presented. I’m not quite sure that I understood what the point of the work was, but each work featuring the women sitting alone with the foliage felt really lonely. I always have the notion that whatever I make will always be tagged as political because of an effort to simply place POC’s in positions or places that mainstream entertainment doesn’t bother to place us in, but what if I actively tried to NOT be political? Would that change how my work would be received? It’s still something that I have to think about, but as my first deadline is drawing closer, I seem to be having less and less time to think, so I will just have to create instead and see what becomes of it.