Daily Archives: September 17, 2018

Day 6: 9/17

For my BFA project, I would like to create art through a digital medium. As I have spent the last three years to hone my craft, I would like my possible showcase piece to encompass everything I have learned in my time in and out of the classroom. I prefer digital painting/ illustration, so I would like my project to reflect those interests and more importantly, the skill set associated with it. Considering how I may able to time myself, I would like to create at least three works to illustrate my ideas as a series. In my series of works, I would like to illustrate the feelings and sensations that I experience as someone who faces depression and anxiety and how my perception of the world has been altered as a result.

What I found drives my project is the idea of having  the ability to bring awareness to the issues I face through my art. As a person of color, the complete lack of understanding of my issues and the stubborn attitudes of the older generations to not make the effort to understand within my culture makes addressing these issues properly almost impossible. The lack of understanding of the impact of generational traumas, dysfunctional family dynamics and the effects of society’s perception of people like me are all factors that tend to be pushed aside when discussions of minority mental health are brought up ( if they are at all). Although it would be quite the undertaking to address these issues in more than three works, I want to strive to illustrate the facets of conflicts that mean the most to me.

In terms of unique style, I would like to work in a limited color palette. I seek to work this way in an effort to convey a sense of  isolation. While everyone else is able to live in a vivid and colorful world, I seen mine as the polar opposite. Darker, yet vivid colors will accurately depict the distortion and disconnect I feel from the world around me. It’s cold and feels lonely, and I’m hoping that my choice in color will illustrate that accurately. In addition to this, I want to include the use of a consistent figure, representative of myself, in each work. As these experiences are mine, I want to make something that I can not only be excited about making, but also bring forth something that is personal to me, as I feel that I create my best work when I focus on myself.

In its final form, I will, of course, be creating three digital works. For size, I would like each to be 11 x 13 (though I can make them larger, space permitting). I would like each piece to be simply matted together as a triptych. I feel that a horizontal display may work best for this series of works. Using the eye to guide viewers through the work at about eye level would seen to be much easier to manage than going for a vertical display.

List of Equipment:

• Printing materials
  • Matting material (26’’ x 11)

Included Below is my tentative production calendar and a possible display design