Movie Ideas

To be honest doing all these self-portraits gets wearisome, yet strangely the video self-portrait excites me. I’m not sure what I’d want to do for it, but things generally fall together when I start filming.

My ideas were sorta’ centered around faces. I was thinking I’d want to piece together a lot of faces or film many faces and play them back one after another intensely fast to the point where they begin to merge.

I was also thinking about doing some lip syncing with all the faces. That’d be a challenge, but that’s why I’m thinking in that way.

I definitely want some monologue/dialogue/trialogue?…

Some words…and most likely a good amount of music that I would compose.

Also thinking about lights…I want to do something with lights….not sure what yet…but i’m feeling it coming together slowly but surely.

2 thoughts on “Movie Ideas

1. helliot
    9:00 pm - 3-22-2010

Hi Stephen,

Faces tell much about individuals – there is certainly a lot of potential with that. Think about what TYPES of faces – different ages, races, classes, genders – or the same group with many examples of that similar group. What you choose will really begin to shape the piece.

Editing and pacing will really help give it the feel and movement to carry it through that you are thinking about. How will you drive that pacing? For example, are all of the various faces saying the same thing and you are cutting them together to make one statement (argh, as we see in so many commercials lately, it seems) – so how can you push that further or play on our expectations? Or, do you want the faces to be saying different things or repeat the same exact words over and over with various emphasis? Figuring out precisely you want the mouth to say will help carry the concept through.

Lights: could really help see the atmosphere for the piece – makes me think about setting – do you want them to all feel “staged” in the same place, or instead shoot them each in very distinct settings that help define the “voice” of that face.

Are the faces visible, or so extremely close-up or lit in a way that they are not very clear? Does the lighting change – as in give us the impression that the time of day has changed – getting later / earlier, etc.? You could play with moving lights, too.

A few ideas to get you going…

heather

2. szenner
    8:34 pm - 3-23-2010

Not quite sure I want to do any of that. Thank you for your reply though. Truly I was just trying to get something moving in my head. My mind wasn’t working at all in the way of movies.

Now I know what I need to do.

If I’m going to do a self portrait movie it would have to revolve around God. There’s no getting around that fact. Art does nothing for me. Away from Jesus there is no purpose, joy or Love in my life. Don’t get me wrong, there are wonderful friends, family, etc in my life, but none of that can compare to the Lord Jesus Christ. There is only one who can pick my true self out brush me off and set me rolling again and that is my Savior. Art is only a part of my life to express how great he is and what he has done for me.
    This movie needs to be candid. As far as monologue or dialogue I’m not sure what it will be, but it needs to be guttural and true. I’m positive I’ll do a voice over. There will probably be many frontal close up shots and profile ones. I want to interview people’s thoughts on God. I want to ask people questions and give testimonies.
    My audience is college kids, so anywhere I go they’ll be able to I.D. it off the bat, since they live in the same environment. I want to use this fact to my advantage by cropping things out or putting a new spin on familiar things. God is the real subject of the film, so ultimately I’m trying to show him not a bunch of pretty backgrounds (so location doesn’t matter).
    As far as the music goes I want to use some of my own if possible, but it doesn’t matter much to me. I may use some of my friends’ music or maybe write something for this project.
    There will be a fast paced part of this movie, but there will also be an incredibly personal part of this movie. What people believe and my own conviction will be juxtaposed, but I’m still not 100% sure how this is going to come out until I have a ton of footage and am editing it.