David Smith

David Smith reigned in minimalism in the years following WWII. Most of his works were composed of welded materials, a skill he honed from previously working as an automobile welder. After seeing some of Picasso’s work Smith was inspired to continue with his own ideas.  Despite his climbing success David Smith’s style had still not completely been flushed out allowing for a great diversity in his work.

SMITH_CUBI_VI

Ancient_Household smith

THE REAL DAVID SMITH

iron-on-fire-50 SMithsculpture_group1956_57smithThere is much to be said about David Smith’s work, because of his range of styles it is hard to evaluate him. More pleasing to me are his geometric works that are similar to the top sculpture. Even though I am partial to some of his work there is an underlying style that encompasses all the different genres of his work. This underlying skeleton is the elegance that he works the metal of his sculptures. While at times he leans towards this movement or that movement in art ultimately he has defined that attempt at this or that as “his”. This property is what attracts me to his work. Seeing a diverse group of aesthetics linked together by common ground.