Project # 4 – A Successful Return

So this past week for project number four I contacted a local artist named Stacey Bushey.  I contacted her through email and the following is a couple questions that I had asked her and her responses.
What kind of style or genre would you consider your art to be?
I consider my style to be a combination of realism and contemporary. I like my work to look like something that people would recognize right away and be able to relate to it, which would be the realism aspect. I also like to put a little twist on the image, so when people look at it they say “why is it angled like that?” or “I think I know what this is, but I’m not exactly sure”, thoughts that would provoke a more contemporary feeling.

What do you use to create your artwork?
I am currently considering myself to be a dry point printmaker. I mostly use clear plexi glass, a stainless steel needle/pen tool, oil based ink, cheesecloth, and paper.  I also am dabbling in linoleum and wood prints.

Have you ever been able to sell a piece of your art?
Up until six months ago, I was a landscape painter (in oils), and I actually had an exhibition in January where I was able to sell three paintings. I also draw tattoo ideas for people and I usually sell them for ten dollars a drawing (depending how detailed), I currently have about six of my images on skin.

Are you inspired by any artists, and if yes who?
Of course!  Several artists inspire me and it becomes hard to keep track of names and styles. I will say that I am a huge fan of Dana Hawk.  She is an oil painter from Colorado. She has this great style that I dream of being able to do someday.

What is unique about own artwork?
I believe that all artwork is unique.  It is easy to copy a piece and make it look identical, but when the time is taken to put creative thought and effort into a piece, then the result will always be truly unique.  As for my work at the moment, I am making prints of a series of different animals, which is not unique, but I am using images and adding elements of humor and quirkiness to them that I believe makes them entirely unique.
The following is an image that she created.  Its an image of a dog shaking water off its fur with a tennis ball in between its feet.

A Successful Return
Dry Point Print on Plexi Glass
June 2009
Stacey Bushey

asr1