Ansel Adams & Influential Art

So this week we have been working on a project based upon influential art in history.  I have chosen to work with some of Ansel Adams photography and work.  First off I would like to talk a little bit about Ansel Adams, and then exactly what I plan on doing for this project.

Ansel Adams was a photographer, and an enviromentalist most of his work was done for the purpose of pleasure, and because most of the places he was photographing had never been photographed before. He was also an Outdoor Enthusiast that was well involved with the Sierra Club and many other organizations of his time.  It is actually because of the Sierra Club that most of his work got recognized and published.

I have chosen to do this project ton Ansel Adams because he was an amazing photographer that showed immense passion for the outdoors throughout his whole life.  He showed this passion for the outdoors through his very own lens every time he took a photograph.  In particular he loved the southwest, and the valley inside Yosemite National Park. 

I am choosing the  photograph of Canyon de Chilly (see below) because of my immense passion for the Canyons of the four corner region of the United States.  They are such a beautiful and spectacular area, which has been relatively untouched by any modern society.  There is also no other place in the world that is like the four corner region of the United States.  It’s a very spectacular place to travel through and a very peaceful, it has always brought rest and relaxation to me.  The canyons are where I have come to feel at home.

I am currently spending sometime this weekend in Southern Utah, and I have been taking some photos, and in particular Dark Canyon.  I would like to comeback and edit this photo in Photoshop and possibly bring out the colors in the image or change it to black and white and play with gradients inside the photograph.  Once done with this I will  be adding this particular quote/poem into the image.  This poem I feel will bring out more meaning in the photograph and will add to the spirit of the poem.

“How strange and wonderful is our home, our earth
With its swirling vaporous atmosphere,
Its flowing and frozen climbing creatures,
The croaking things with wings that hang on rocks
And soar through fog, the furry grass, the scaly seas…
How utterly rich and wild…
Yet some among us have the nerve,
The insolence, the brass, the gal!
To whine about limitations of our earthbound fate
and yearn for some more perfect world beyond the sky
We are none of us good enough
For the world we have.”
Edward Abbey – Desert Solitaire

Canyon De Chelly